WTB: 88-93 manual trans gauge cluster and column cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is no place for the shifter to come out of. Doesn't matter what color.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks!

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Just FYI there's no actual difference between a manual or automatic cluster for 88-94; the gear indicator part is easily removable to swap with the blank black panel.

Richard

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just FYI there's no actual difference between a manual or automatic cluster for 88-94; the gear indicator part is easily removable to swap with the blank black panel.

Richard

Oh I didn't know that. Where can I pick up the black panel though?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Or just make some outta black plastic/vinyl sheet to overlay the gear indicator.

Worth mentioning, your truck is a '91? The only direct drop-in cluster is from another '91. 88-90 will work if you move some wires around in your harness. 92-94 are much more work. A lot. Totally do-able but even close to drop-in.

Richard

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or just make some outta black plastic/vinyl sheet to overlay the gear indicator.

Worth mentioning, your truck is a '91? The only direct drop-in cluster is from another '91. 88-90 will work if you move some wires around in your harness. 92-94 are much more work. A lot. Totally do-able but even close to drop-in.

Richard

Ya it's a 91. Thanks for the info I also didn't know that either lol. Much appreciated.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It gets even better. 88-91 the speedometer calibration is done inside the cluster so each cluster can be unique depending on what gear ratio and tire size the truck came with from the factory. The settings are done at the factory by selectively blowing some of a set of 7 micro-fuses inside the cluster, which act like on/off switches would, or the hardwire jumpers in the 92-95 models which use a separate buffer module.

To reprogram it after the fact you install a special plug that applies voltage to blow all the fuses to make them all "open" switches, then break pins off a "programming clip" which are pins on a common rail, now serving as replacement "switches" to effect the desired setting. These parts are a little scarce and honestly no need to hassle with them; you can desolder the fuses from the circuit board and install a DIP switch just like people have been doing with the 92-95 modules.

I did a write-up on it, with pics -> http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/258562

Richard

Rick1991

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It gets even better. 88-91 the speedometer calibration is done inside the cluster so each cluster can be unique depending on what gear ratio and tire size the truck came with from the factory. The settings are done at the factory by selectively blowing some of a set of 7 micro-fuses inside the cluster, which act like on/off switches would, or the hardwire jumpers in the 92-95 models which use a separate buffer module.

To reprogram it after the fact you install a special plug that applies voltage to blow all the fuses to make them all "open" switches, then break pins off a "programming clip" which are pins on a common rail, now serving as replacement "switches" to effect the desired setting. These parts are a little scarce and honestly no need to hassle with them; you can desolder the fuses from the circuit board and install a DIP switch just like people have been doing with the 92-95 modules.

I did a write-up on it, with pics -> http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/258562

Richard

Man that's complicated, so if I wanted to swap my cluster out for MPH one I should probably make sure the truck looked to have the same options as mine? After installation checking it with the gps to be 100%.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's actually really simple. Might look complicated at first glance but I was kind of word-heavy on it trying to explain why, how, etc. when basically all it is, you're removing 7 little fuses from the board and replacing them with a DIP switch, then setting them according to the attached table.

Richard