Would it be possible to swap a jeep tranny into a 94 c1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
tldr: do jk tranny work in c1500 what would i need to research to plan this out?

So I am sorry if I posted this incorrectly, my first time posting on this site.
My brother totaled his 06 jk, his front end is messed up, AFAIK, the tranny is just fine.

I think my sun shell is bad because I have no reverse, I wont be able to diagnose it until I get the truck off the stands though.

It would be nice to be able to just swap to his tranny and bypass the whole transfer case for now and have a project down the road to do.
I am not sure of much however, since its a project truck.
I am just considering trying my luck at replacing the sun shell.
I don't know what questions to ask, if anybody could point me any direction it would be much appreciated.
I am a 20 year old who is in over his head.

I have changed my spark plugs and oil before on crown vic before buying a 500 rust bucket 94 c1500 305.I am not a mechanic by any means.I brought it back to life with a new fuel pump and fuel pump relay thanks to this website.I have it still up on the jack stands because the old crossmember holding up the fuel tank needs to be replaced so I'm putting that in once the part arrives this week.I really appreicate any info, comments or feedback, have a good one!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To clarify... You're asking if a 2006 4WD Jeep Wrangler transmission will work in a 2WD C1500? I'm assuming a '94 C1500 from your signature but you didn't say.

I don't know much about Jeeps, but a 30 second Google search leads me to believe that "No" is the answer without major modifications somewhere. According to Wikipedia the options for automatics transmissions in a 2006 JK were the Ultradrive 42RLE, Mercedes-Benz W5A580, or Chrysler 545RFE. I didn't bother looking any further into it but I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's not likely that any of those share any similarities with the GM 4L60E/4L80E automatics that came in these trucks. Even if one of them was similar size and bellhousing bolt pattern (I doubt it) you'd still have the transfer case issue to deal with, and the electronics are undoubtedly different so making it communicate with the PCM in your truck would be very difficult.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tldr: do jk tranny work in c1500 what would i need to research to plan this out?
Lol, No.

Some causes of 4L60E no reverse:

- sunshell (also takes out 2nd and 4th)
- rear gear train failure (same symptoms as sun shell failure or total loss of movement)
- burnt low reverse or reverse input

If money's tight go buy a good used 92-94 2WD 4L60e from a salvage yard for a few hundred bucks and make sure it comes with a warranty. Remvoe the pan to change the filter and inspect before installing. Any metal or burnt clutch material, take it back for exchange or refund.....Otherwise take your current one out and bring it to a reputable trans shop in your area for overhaul.

Or rebuild it yourself if you're willing to invest in the tools and time for learning. Just replacing the sunshell won't cut it as it will need to be completely gone through, possibly a replacement rear gear train, reverse input drum (most have warped band surfaces after 100k+ miles), pump reconditioning and possibly a forward drum, depending upon whether or not the existing one passes a pressure test.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know what they put in that year Jeep, but being Jeep was/is apart of Chrysler Corp Now Stellantis Auto group and jeep sourced quite a bit from that direction at least in part through the years. I'm not seeing a Mopar trans into a chevy a direct bolt in.lol

Reaction score
Just pull a junkyard trans for a few hundred bucks. When and if that blows...do it again. I'm sure there is some machine shop somewhere building a billet CNC machined adapter plate for twice what you payed for the truck. Sometimes the easy way is the right way to do it. Go to a junkyard.
I think this is the smartest thing to do, thanks for the response!

Reaction score
I don't know what they put in that year Jeep, but being Jeep was/is apart of Chrysler Corp Now Stellantis Auto group and jeep sourced quite a bit from that direction at least in part through the years. I'm not seeing a Mopar trans into a chevy a direct bolt in.lol
I knew I was pushing my luck asking the question, considering I found a gold chain in the truck worth more than what i paid for it, I'd figure I'd try my luck again :)