Won't Idle cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Beater_1500

Reaction score
ok the truck is an 89 c1500 w/5.7 and it will not idle on cold starts. It takes longer than normal to crank the engine then it fires and if I don't hit the gas pedal and keep it rev a tad it just stalls. Now once it warms up it runs fine and starts back up fine. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
sound like a throttle positioning sensor or something like that. throwing any codes?

LikeARock

Reaction score
coolant temp sensor would be something to check... there are 2, one for the computer and one for the dash gauge/light... so even if the gauge reads accurate it does not mean the computer is getting a good reading

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
coolant temp sensor would be something to check... there are 2, one for the computer and one for the dash gauge/light... so even if the gauge reads accurate it does not mean the computer is getting a good reading

Word, One beside thermostat is for Computer.

Beater_1500

Reaction score
Yes there is a code sorry I forgot to mention that. Code 15 coolant temp -38 more than 3 seconds. Where are both of the coolant temp sensors? I know the one on the front of the driver's side head, where is the other?

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Yes there is a code sorry I forgot to mention that. Code 15 coolant temp -38 more than 3 seconds. Where are both of the coolant temp sensors? I know the one on the front of the driver's side head, where is the other?

other is beside the thermostat housing

You must be registered for see images attach

Cooter

Reaction score
I'm reviving this rather than making a new thread. My truck does the cold idle lope too, once its warmed up it is normal. I don't have no CEL's either, and I know the check engine light works. EGR is replaced btw, and IACV was pulled and cleaned out with brake clean. Should I try this coolant temp switch?