Wiring question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalkeJ1

Reaction score
I have a 91 that came with a 5.7 that I'm swapping out. While pulling the engine harness there were 2 wires that were grounded to the the thermostat housing, one black and one black with a white strip. The wires are routed with the coolant temp sensor in the intake. Can someone tell me what these originally went to?
You must be registered for see images attach

7thdarkangel

Breaking Sh*t
Reaction score
I believe they are grounds for your harness. Both my trucks have the grounds there.

WalkeJ1

Reaction score
Thank you, the terminal ends must have been damaged at some point because the wires were just twisted together and tightened down underneath the bolt head.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyone else bolt them to the intake instead of the thermostat housing?

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't see that it would matter. The bolt to the thermostat housing goes into the lower intake, so the ground path is the same.

You could probably ground it to anything that is eventually connected to the block.

Mimic the installation on the thermostat housing by using a second nut, though. Sandwich the ground eyelet between the intake nut and a new one. That way you don't have to undo the intake nut if the ground ever needs to come off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldn't use one of the actual intake bolts I just bolted my ground to an open thread in the intake up in the same area. I never liked it on the thermostat housing because the terminal is delicate enough as it is.