Wiring harness differences, electronic AM/FM vs old AM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Addy

Reaction score
Hey all
I ran across a 90 Cheyenne yesterday had plain old factory knob AM radio in it. Since the electronic stereo in the 93 C3500 is kaput want to transplant this radio into the 93.

Problem is that the wiring for the 90 with AM has connectors at the radio itself and not elsewhere like the newer electronic unit. I've pulled a defunct electronic stereo out of another truck before, it's no fun but I know that the head unit has a harness connected to it that plugs in somewhere else, maybe an amp or the cassette deck? I just don't remember.

Anyway, the question is whether I can transplant that AM radio from the 90 Cheyenne without having to go through a bunch of rewiring hassle in the 93 Silverado?

Anyone know whether this is an easy project or not? Would like to get a radio into that space and I mostly listen to AM so the 90 Cheyenne radio makes the most sense.

Steve

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
That's a lot of DIWHY right there, especially when you consider how many of the other radios are out there. Just go to a treasure yard (junkyard) and pull the amp section out of another truck with a similar radio to what you had. That is what goes bad on those electronic radios, not the head unit or tape deck, the brain. It's located above and in front of the gas pedal, held in by three 7mm bolts, two are visible. The last one requires the panel below the steering column to be removed for access.

EDIT: To verify if the donor brain/amp is any good, pull the cover plate off of it and examine where the connector meets the board. If you see any corrosion, don't take that unit. That strategy has worked for me so far.