Wire getting really hot....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkIII

Reaction score
The other day I was working on my ac and I noticed a harness had melted behind the glove box. I went to the junk yard and looked for a new one. The first two I looked at were melted just like mine. I eventually found one and spliced it in, but noticed today the red power wire is getting really hot. I'm pointing to it in the picture. Any ideas?

You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the wire is getting hot, then that means, there is to much current being flowed through it. The fix is to figure out what all that wire is supplying and if one of those has a short, or if something extra is added to that supply wire. Then ether fix the short, or remove the extra electronic if there is one. You could also replace the wire with a larger one, but if you do that, you will need to be sure that there is no issues in that system. If there is, then you are feeding the problem with more flow, and that will allow a short to pull more and could cause a fire. If this is the supply wire for the AC relay, (AC clutch) the issue mat be a failing AC clutch, a failing AC relay, or even a failing AC compressor.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like the harness inline connection that is power to the blower motor. It is known for cooking itself. It's getting hot because of extra resistance in the circuit; gonna be oxidized/burnt connector pins in the circuit or maybe the blower motor is starting to go bad and drawing too much power.

Any splices you make in this circuit should be soldered & heat shrinked, not twisted & taped. That's just not good enough of a connection for a circuit with that much load on it. Fix up your splices then go after any connection points with some contact cleaner spray; I like DeOxit which can be found a lot of places (electronics stores and guitar shops for example) or online. Practically magic.

Richard

MarkIII

Reaction score
Well I had another blower and swapped it out. I noticed it was only getting hot on high fan. I went ahead and redid the connection and it doesn't seem to be getting hot. I traced the wire to the harness that goes through the firewall.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I bet it was the blower motor starting to fail. I had one do the same thing. Started slowly drawing more and more current until it fried itself, the wiring, and the resistor. Not sure how it never blew a fuse...