Wipers are too low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

95Z71Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I went to fix it by loosening the arm at the motor but it won't adjust far enough up. It's parking under the windshield. Could the PO put them on wrong? Is there a left and right or are they the same length?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
There is adjustment on the wiper transmissions, you can adjust the height of both arms relative to the cowl. This requires removing the black plastic cowl panel.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There are some differences in the wiper arms over the years, more than just the wiper blade attachment style (pin vs. hook.)

I found this out when rebuilding my '92 after it was stolen and stripped. I grabbed wiper arms from the boneyard, didn't pay attention to what exact year they came off. May have possibly been from an '88 or '90 parts truck I had bought, too. At any rate, the passenger side arm would go down too far, and whack the cowl, regardless of how I adjusted it.

I went nuts trying to figure it out, until I went and got arms off another truck, and they worked.

Forgot all this years later when fixing up a '98 for a friend of mine. Took a few tries and then it dawned on me, oh yeah; I fought this before.

I wish I could remember the year breakdown on them, but most likely that's what's going on with yours. P.O. grabbed arms off another truck and they are the wrong year. If I were to hazard a guess, the breakdown MIGHT be 88-90 vs. 91-up; 91 is when the wiper motor changed, so I'm basing my guess on that.

Richard

95Escahoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I replaced the motor took a couple pics of how they were before hooked it all back up and they work mint

95Z71Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They were like that before I messed with it... I thought maybe the PO moved them but they didn't look like they've been touched.

95Z71Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Messed with them some more today. I took the cowl off my 95 and ran it a couple times. They work fine so I used the motor position to reset the wipers on the 96...

Still not enough adjustment. So I thought the PO replaced the linkage bushings and maybe got the sides mixed up. So I switched the part the arm attaches to, But still is the same, but it moved to the passenger side now. So it's something to do with the part the arm attaches to.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
I can adjust mine like crazy either way and I am pretty sure a 95' has the same setup. I have my cowl off right now because I just did a new motor and an adjustment a week ago and I am doing lots of work to the truck right now. If you want I can take some photos and explain how to do it? just let me know.
Its all done where the arms under the cowl attach to the motor piece which has those metal clamps that tighten down onto the small ball. There is one for each arm. If you still don't get what I am saying just let me know.

95Z71Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know how to do it, the arms won't adjust anymore.

I compared it to my 95 that I know works and put the parts where the 95 is. It made the passenger side wiper work right but the drivers side is still off.

I think the part that the arm attaches too is twisted or off somehow. No matter what I do it's always too low.
I switched it with the passenger side to see if it would work and it did the same thing, just on the passenger side now.

95Z71Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
full