Wiper arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Taxi trick.
Did this years ago. Here on the 'Wet Coast', wipers get used a lot! I change my blades 3-4X a year.
No probs with the arms since I did this. Makes it possible to line up the blades if there is a problem with that.
A dremel with a cone grinder. 5 minutes.

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Nice trick, but do you ever drive that truck in freezing weather or do you store it until weather gets nice again? I'd be worried if I ever hit the wipers on a frozen windshield that without that key, it would strip the puny teeth out of either the arm or the shaft.

Richard

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
It's my daily. 12 months of the year in rain, snow & ice. And we've had some major ice storms this last winter. The truck is parked outside. That's been modded for almost 4 years now. There`s still about 350deg. of contact between the post & the arm.

Last edited:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Dunno what to tell ya.

My 98 has wiper arms off an 89 right now.

Works fine, no issues.

I prefer the earlier wiper arms since they sit lower on the windshield.

Yes, they're the pin style, but I've yet to find a wiper blade that doesn't offer the option of fitting several different types of arms.

No issues with the most gawd awful weather conditions you can imagine...

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I put '97 hook style arms on mine... Work great. Straight swap over takes 2 minutes.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's my daily. 12 months of the year in rain, snow & ice. And we've had some major ice storms this last winter. The truck is parked outside. That's been modded for almost 4 years now. There`s still about 350deg. of contact between the post & the arm.

Good to know. And yeah, my concern is that sure there's still almost complete contact, but on some very shallow teeth, no longer with the benefit of that big fat key keeping it from shearing the teeth off that cast tower. Sure sounds like you've put yours through the paces though without any issue, so that's a neat trick I'll be keeping in the mental file for if I ever need it!

Richard

dagen_1

OBS 4 Me
Reaction score
seems like the 95+ arms have a stiffer spring.. and you can get longer blades for the hook style. i've swapped both my trucks to the 95+ style.

EDIT: just wondering how this post got into the Engine section?

MSCustoms

Its not just a Truck
Reaction score
As everyone stated, the newer arms are a direct fit and I also did the big wiper mod when I swapped over to the newer style.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Good to know. And yeah, my concern is that sure there's still almost complete contact, but on some very shallow teeth, no longer with the benefit of that big fat key keeping it from shearing the teeth off that cast tower. Sure sounds like you've put yours through the paces though without any issue, so that's a neat trick I'll be keeping in the mental file for if I ever need it!

Richard

My ole man had a fleet of cabs for 35 years. Employed 4 mechanics.
Down time = no dough! So, the mechanics did what they could to keep the vehicle on the road making $$$. Messing with the wiper transmission was an exercise in frustration. The key removal was their step around that. Any wear & tear on a normal vehicle is X10 on a cab. Rare that the teeth stripped on the arms or the posts after they did this mod.