Windshield wipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott_williams2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure exactly what category this should go in so I’ll just put it in engine mantienence. Admin feel free to move it. Anyways I have a 97 k1500 with 5.7. I’ve owned the truck for 2 years and the wipers have always acted funky I’ll turn them on they’ll make a full swing snd swing all the way back to resting position and then go back up a little and stop until the next swing. Basically my wipers stop above where they should I mostly ignored it but it’s gotten worse they literally stop in the middle of the shield and it’s super annoying. Is there a sensor or motor I need to replace or is the issue mechanical???

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
I dont think this is a board issue but just to be sure, re flow all the connections on the circuit board for the plug. that should fix the common failed circuit board but can take it further and reflow all the solder on the board. they were cold soldered, this is when you have a circuit board with molten lead on the contacts and shove all the components in as quickly as possible. some may solder, some wont but all should work for a few years. LOL.

I think this is a mechanical issue. take the wipers off. pull stainless tab and then pull straight up on the wiper. take off the plastic shroud at the base of the windshield, have a look inside and see the linkages. put the wipers back on and make the necessary adjustments. once you figure it out make sure you clean all the **** out of this spot and make sure all the screws under here are plugging there holes or water will leak inside. put the shroud and the wipers back on and your done.

Al

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
its quite possible. iv fixed a few of these. one needed a jumper where the circuitry corroded and fell off but that was pretty obvious. I also reflowed this entire board and brought it back to life. cover the entire thing in dielectric grease and put it back in. still working in my burb 4-5 years later.

what's funny as they only stop working in the rain. Hahahaha

Al

g night.