Whipple with TBI on 11:1CR LT1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Ok guys, I got me another wild hair and decided to do something I'll most likely regret again......humor me! :p

I've a whipple sitting in the passenger seat, and an 11:1 CR LT1 from a 1970 sitting under the hood. Now those engines came stock with a Holley 780cfm double pumper(although it currently has a 750 DP mechanical secondaries on it). So, realizing I'll need to detune the engine to even properly use a 454 tbi(~600cfm in stock form)....here's the question, what would you do? and here's the limitations to your answers: a tbi from a stock engine(can be modded ofcourse: mods, injectors, etc?), no major engine changes(eg: no I'm not swapping to a tbi modded LS engine LOL), parts changes allowable are: valvetrain, intake system, & heads(limited to what I have on-hand: 462s, 461s, and some modified mid-70s truck heads with large runners and 73cc chambers); retaining the stock-style 2500 stall.

The whipple is an 1100cfm.

Current engine uses 3-layer copper head gaskets; switching gaskets with different heads is a viable option. Also have a new set of pistons from a 73 LT1, which was ~9:1 CR.

Also, I can change pulleys on the whipple, no problem there.

Last edited:

low4x4

backyard mechanic
Reaction score
i think the compression is a little high ...most recommend around 9:1....might loose your around town drivablity

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Well yeah lemme adjust OP, lol.....i hadn't had my coffee this morning.

OP updated with head options I have on hand, and pistons on hand. Also, the whipple is an "axial inlet"(I think that's the correct wording); it has the inlet at the rear of case for use with cowl induction.

Here's a little info on current setup:

1970 LT1
11:1CR
Weiand teamG high rise single plane
Holley 750 DP w/ mech secondaries "race carb"(fancy terminology for jet placement and no choke)
Crane 298(same specs as classic Lunati 298) solid roller "nitrous cam"(meaning it's hardened)
Crane siamese roller lifters
Crane rev kit
Pioneer beehive springs
Accel HEI 78kv dist
....is not tame enough to be a reliable DD.

Last edited: