Where to post 2wd frame issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

runnamukk

Reaction score
Hey all. Can't find a good forum for this one, apologize for mis-posting admins.

Took the bed off my '89 stepside 2wd to replace the gas tank and rear end. I have a 3.08 now, and just picked up a 3.42 posi. Found some nasty rust. I have a donor frame that the 'new' rear end came bolted to. Question: should I replace the rotten crossmembers, try to fix them in place, or completely replace the rear half of the frame? Mind you the rails are not that bad, but the crossmembers are.

The pictures are the rear crossmember (awful), mid crossmember (bad), rear spring (holy crap), and donor frame.

Attachments

• donorframe.jpg
    donorframe.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 39
  • notsorottencmbr.jpg
    notsorottencmbr.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 39
  • rottencrossmember1.jpg
    rottencrossmember1.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 41
  • rustyrearspring.jpg
    rustyrearspring.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 36

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Hey all. Can't find a good forum for this one, apologize for mis-posting admins.

Took the bed off my '89 stepside 2wd to replace the gas tank and rear end. I have a 3.08 now, and just picked up a 3.42 posi. Found some nasty rust. I have a donor frame that the 'new' rear end came bolted to. Question: should I replace the rotten crossmembers, try to fix them in place, or completely replace the rear half of the frame? Mind you the rails are not that bad, but the crossmembers are.

The pictures are the rear crossmember (awful), mid crossmember (bad), rear spring (holy crap), and donor frame.

Well I'm not a big fan of cancer myself. My question is how does that rear frame mate to the front of the truck. If you cut and weld it you will need to do some extra bracing over the joints to ensure a save vehicle to drive. Some states if they do vehicle inspections may not pass the vehicle if frame modifications have been performed by anyone other than a certified shop. So take that I to consideration as well. Also matters if you ever want to sell it. If its just a bolt on and the everything you want to replace is in good shape on the donor frame I'd say swap the whole lot over.

Tyler/T-Unit

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Well, since i only see a back half for a donor, I'd say swap out the crossmembers.

They are going to be a royal pain though. The frame rails are assembled around them so it's near impossible to get them in and out in one piece.

I had a rotted out rear tire carrier/crossmember in my 89. It was rotted to paper thin and holes everywhere. Getting it out was nearly a whole day experience.

I would suggest cutting the donor rails to get the crossmembers out intact and cutting the crossmembers in the good truck to keep the frame intact.

I would micrometer the frame rails in you truck though to see how much it's wasted down. If you can't hit the c channels with the ball end of a ball peen (i mean a good hard swing) without going through or seriously deforming the area then they are already too far gone....:(

bluedxj

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i dont think the frame rails look too bad i personaly would just replace the crossmembers. ive seen worse on the road.

runnamukk

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I think we'll go with replacing at least the rear cross member. I'd rather have found a whole good frame, but this is what I've got, and I'm out of money. Looks like I may end up doing the spring perches too, as these bolts are rusted solid to the spring shackles. Hello blue wrench, we got some work to do.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input guys. I think we'll go with replacing at least the rear cross member. I'd rather have found a whole good frame, but this is what I've got, and I'm out of money. Looks like I may end up doing the spring perches too, as these bolts are rusted solid to the spring shackles. Hello blue wrench, we got some work to do.

:weld::superhack::flame:

Tyler/T-Unit