where to mount trailer brake controller....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gibsonfarmsmo

Reaction score
I know, strange question to ask. i have a Tekonsha P3 that I desperately need installed (towing a 10,000 lbs trailer on a regular basis). I'm having trouble finding a good place to mount the brake controller. My problem is, my truck is a nv4500 manual. anywhere under the steering wheel interferes with pedal operation, and anywhere under radio/hvac interferes with shift pattern. My truck is a 98 K2500 regular cab. any ideas or experience would be appreciated.

thank you

hatzie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the brake controller under the HVAC/Radio stack on the bottom of the lower knee panel not on the face but on the bottom. It doesn't interfere with the NV4500 shift stick or the accelerator pedal.

gibsonfarmsmo

Reaction score
I have the brake controller under the HVAC/Radio stack on the bottom of the lower knee panel not on the face but on the bottom. It doesn't interfere with the NV4500 shift stick or the accelerator pedal.
thank you for the reply. I'll have to re explore that area to see if it will work for me.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Here it is on my 1500.

You must be registered for see images attach

Replaced the Voyager on my dually with a P3, kept it in this location but installed it straight and not like a hack.

I like both, but prefer the more tediously installed 1500 as it's easier to reach. I have yet to kick the dually's controller which was my concern on the 1500 mounting it so low. I figured since I never kicked the Voyager the P3 ought to be safe and it has been.

Last edited:

gibsonfarmsmo

Reaction score
I had considered the cubby hole under HVAC. two problems arise for me. I installed a double din head unit via the Metra kit so the cubby hole is much smaller than the factory. Also, i throw stuff in there all the time. I'd probably miss not having it. I just wish GM had considered a factory option for brake controllers in this series. Brake controllers have been around decades before this series came out...

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had considered the cubby hole under HVAC. two problems arise for me. I installed a double din head unit via the Metra kit so the cubby hole is much smaller than the factory. Also, i throw stuff in there all the time. I'd probably miss not having it. I just wish GM had considered a factory option for brake controllers in this series. Brake controllers have been around decades before this series came out...
Do you have a pic of your Metra kit? Thinking hard about that one. It'll either be that or the OEM style that has had the CD player Bluetooth added to it.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Under the dash,never a problem with it's location.