Where can I find a 4L60E Label code deciphering chart or Guide?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, maybe I'm wrong. I was thinking of the LS-based 4L60e...those are all the same.
I don't know, and I'm not an expert...but...that's not what I'd expect based on decades of GM cost-cutting and GM's near-psycopathic need to soften shift "feel".

There were dozens--maybe hundreds--of variations of TH 400, TH 350, etc. Not just year-to-year changes, but assembly differences like number of clutch plates in a clutch stack, placement of belleville springs in the pack, number of clutch release springs in the clutch drum assembly; plus the variations in spring stiffness in the shift valves, governor and modulator calibration...they built an incredible variety of transmissions over the course of the production run.

I have heard on the earlier 4L60e, the V6 had fewer clutch plates than the V8...I don't know if that's actually true.
I'd expect that.

So OP needs to just stick to a V8 truck? That still leaves Tahoes and Suburban's as potential candidates.
What "works" vs. what is Original Equipment can be different.

Rob7233

Reaction score
My truck has 258K with the original 4L60E. I baby it and I continue to with no tranny issues.

I wound up buying this one for $100.00 that came out of running truck w/187K per the seller. He stated the truck had a real bad case of cancer and got the truck from a family friend and he knew the history of it. He stated he only really just wanted the engine from it for an airboat project (which I saw). He also said he drove it home and it had no issues with shifting or otherwise. He dumped the truck a while back, so it's now gone. He said wanted this trans out of his way asap and looking at his shop, I could see why. The label on my truck's 4L60E transmission is 7 C H D. Still no chart or guide.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know, and I'm not an expert...but...that's not what I'd expect based on decades of GM cost-cutting and GM's near-psycopathic need to soften shift "feel".

There were dozens--maybe hundreds--of variations of TH 400, TH 350, etc. Not just year-to-year changes, but assembly differences like number of clutch plates in a clutch stack, placement of belleville springs in the pack, number of clutch release springs in the clutch drum assembly; plus the variations in spring stiffness in the shift valves, governor and modulator calibration...they built an incredible variety of transmissions over the course of the production run.

I'd expect that.

What "works" vs. what is Original Equipment can be different.

Agreed. The only way to tell what the differences are, is to look at the service manuals, as they have all of the service upgrades and changes. But again, the service manuals I've seen from ATSG are not vehicle specific...they are more specific on years. Maybe OP is looking for a core to steal parts from? If he wants to rebuild it, the new parts obviously have to match whatever is on the rebuild bench.

Here's a good source: http://shop.ukrtrans.biz/wp-content/uploads/catalogs/4L60E_UPDATE_HANDBOOK.pdf

The best way to keep everything "original" is to get his existing unit rebuilt.

Last edited:

Rob7233

Reaction score
My original question and issue was: Where can I find a chart or guide to decipher the label code to confirm exactly what this tranny came off of?

> I pretty much have confirm that at this point... BUT Does anyone know of an online reference or otherwise, to tell me what all these codes might mean???