what to do with your original silverado rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I took some spray on paint stripper and took off all of the clear coat. Then I taped off the shiny aluminum. Next I painted the outer spike inserts black. after the paint dried good ( overnight or so ) I buffed out the rims with some polishing compound, then I waxed them with some cleaner wax. You can see my reflection in the center caps.
You must be registered for see images attach

19trax95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did something similar on my truck. I stripped the clear off and then painted the little plastic lug covers black. I didn't polish them though. I liked the look. Certainly better than faded clear.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They are the original caps that came on the truck when it was new. It looks to me like it is stainless steel wrapped around a plastic inner core. I thought the same thing until I striped them down and buffed them out.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
Can this be done with the center caps that have the simulated lugs showing. I know the rest of the wheel is the same.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I haven't tried those, but I don't see why not. The only issue would be getting paint striper on the plastic lugs, will it eat them up ? You could always use the brush on paint striper and not get any on the plastic lugs, that should work ok.

Last edited:

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I polished my center caps that have the plastic lug nuts- some clearcoat was already stripped. Some areas polished up, others

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk