What is this part/wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XediDC

Reaction score
So first -- thank ya'll, these forums have been awesome! I've been lurking intensely for a few weeks -- we just recently rescued my wife's late father's 94 C1500 from sitting a year out in central Texas country. I managed to get it running and home to work on -- but it still needs a lot of TLC. (Mostly from 2 massive rodent nests, a bird nest, and at least one snake in the engine bay...and the rodents scavenged a lot of wiring. Still...it runs and drives great at 260k, even if nothing else works right now and the ignition is held together with tape. )

Anyway...

Amid all the mess, there is one part I haven't been able to identify or find in a search. (Or find the other ends of in the truck.) It's a connector of some sort for a coaxial wire, like that would connect to your cable box...the other end is unclear, but may be more of the same or not. It was sitting on top of the engine, in front of the air filter. (Mice may have moved it from somewhere else...but they didn't get into the cab with the antenna wiring, etc.)

It could also be from something nearby and not the truck it all. I even found a duck foot in there.

Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

jkeaton

It’s been real
Reaction score
Only thing in an engine bay that would resemble that is a spark plug wire. unless the previous owner had cable running to the truck for TV's...

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is the connector for your radio antenna. Passenger side fender by the firewall

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

sntrym

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be from a CB, but I would agree it's likely the antenna wire. Does the radio work?

XediDC

Reaction score
Ah, thanks!

Yes, the radio works. But the truck has two antennas and I think the radio is using the non-factory one, so that makes more sense.

And...I feel a little better knowing I wasn't missing something totally obvious. The wiring is not too complex on these trucks, but it's still tricky when so much is gnawed from the connector back into a harness somewhere, with the wire in between missing. The entire front lighting harness is just gone, back to around the washer fluid tank. (Thankfully found the full electrical book in one of the other threads here.)

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Did you say 'snake'?
SNAKE?
Woulda been hard for me not to just burn the whole thing to the ground!
Snakes! (shudder!) We had Rattlers where I used to live. They liked to crawl into the damndest places.
Lived in an Airstream parked in an orchard one summer. Got to be a basic minimum standard to take a baseball bat to the bed before jumping in! Pull the covers back with a stick!
Snakes! Kill 'em! Kill 'em all!

...oh yea. Welcome!

...and please excuse the obvious phobia! Lol!

LOUDRNU

Reaction score
Definitely feel your pain on the mice loving to tear up wiring...to be honest it can be hell
On the bright side at least you have it running :33:

my initial thought was a spark plug wire as well but it just didn't seem right
below is a diagram of the original antenna route...Good Luck!!

You must be registered for see images attach

-- JWL

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Good Luck on the repairs. Glad to hear your rescuing a decent truck. And yeah, that snake would have freaked me out too. Mice do enough damage, I don't need to see some slithering thing in my engine bay!