Welding 2500 rearframe onto 1500 frame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1993-Sierra-Z71

Pontiac & GMT400 Nut
Reaction score
when you weld the frames togather, Look up the Episode of Gearz where stacy cuts a long bed down into a short bed, he shows the strongest and best way to cut the frames, not just straight down cuz that will break easy. Since i cant find a video showing the marking and cutting, imangine the frame rail if your laying on your side level with it. draw an [_
. ] like that, but round the corners out. Weld it up, and add re-enforcing plates in there.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
when you weld the frames togather, Look up the Episode of Gearz where stacy cuts a long bed down into a short bed, he shows the strongest and best way to cut the frames, not just straight down cuz that will break easy. Since i cant find a video showing the marking and cutting, imangine the frame rail if your laying on your side level with it. draw an [_
. ] like that, but round the corners out. Weld it up, and add re-enforcing plates in there.

if he welded a frame on one of the gmt400 trucks to convert to short bed he is an idiot, everything can just get moved forward and cut off the extra frame hanging out past the short box, all the drilling sucks but is pretty easy on these frames

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
if he welded a frame on one of the gmt400 trucks to convert to short bed he is an idiot, everything can just get moved forward and cut off the extra frame hanging out past the short box, all the drilling sucks but is pretty easy on these frames

67 Chevy truck.

Barrymaxx

Reaction score
Well I got it done. I did cut it straight up and down. After talking to a few engineers we decided that straight up and down with a diamond plate welded over top and another plate welded under the tension side of it would be plenty good.

So I measured and squared up some pieces of angle to make guides for the recip saw blade. It worked flawlessly. This whole job went way better than I could of pictured. Really happy with how it came out.

You must be registered for see images attach

So for future reference: 1500 and 2500 heavy frames are the same shape. 2500 frame is much thicker. They are the same height and the same width. Every dimension is the same. The 1500 has a slight bend in the C profile to stiffen it. This does not cause a problem welding to the 2500 frame because the wall thickness of the 2500 frame makes up for it. This was a 2000 frame welded onto a 1998 truck btw.

5spd Z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's almost how mine was done. Except I used 2 plates on the insides and a plate in the bottom lip on each side.

Sent from my iPhone in some random spot of Texas.

benz88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would also Box that section in. And cap the insides so nothing gets in.