Weird steering issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cochino12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I have a 99 Tahoe 4wd ~70k miles on it. Recently on gradual right turns the resistance in the wheel will completely disappear. It happens when the steering wheel is turned about 1/8 of a turn but it cant be felt when making a sharp right turn.

Any ideas what may be causing it? I was told bad steering box but would like some other opinions before I drop that much $$ on a new box.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Ok, I have a 99 Tahoe 4wd ~70k miles on it. Recently on gradual right turns the resistance in the wheel will completely disappear. It happens when the steering wheel is turned about 1/8 of a turn but it cant be felt when making a sharp right turn.

Any ideas what may be causing it? I was told bad steering box but would like some other opinions before I drop that much $$ on a new box.

I would look into the EVO sensor. They can malfunction and cause you to jerk the wheel on small turns. It's located on the steering shaft under the dash. I've heard people just unplug it and forget about it.

cochino12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I was doing some reading on those but found most complaints were about sloppy steering, for the $$ I guess it's worth a shot.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The most common symptom is that it goes full assist at all times, which means way-too-easy steering. It's pretty sketchy at highway speed, when it should be at low assist. Combine that with a little front end wear and you got a real white-knuckler. Been there, done that; on a '98 crew cab dually with 19.5's on it - 400 mile trip home. Not fun! Touch the wheel and change lanes (or head for the wall/ditch.) I made most of that trip holding the wheel with my index finger and thumb only.

Richard

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
+1 on the EVO sensor. You can run a 96 p/s pump and do away with it, or replace the sensor on yours.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
THe EVO sensor is on the PS pump on the 99. Not the steering column,.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The sensor on the back of the PS pump is connected to whatever sensor is on the column. They work together.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
OK, we can go in circles if you like, but the sensor that usually goes bad and causes full assist when it should not - is the one on the column. Enjoy.

Richard