Weird 4L60e shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CharlieB

Reaction score
okay so I ready through everything on this trans that I could. I have a 97 extended cab z71 350 and 4l60. Well the problem is sorta intermittent. It will shift pretty hard into second gear from first under regular throttle but usually will shift smooth if I give it more gas and let it shift around 3k or 3.5k. Problem is worse when the trans is cold. Well I let s little fluid out bc it was a bit high and it shifted smooth but it will shift real smooth like its slipping a bit then grab like it didn't fully engage at first. I know this sounds weird but this is the best way I can describe all this. Any ideas at all?

CharlieB

Reaction score
Yeah that was the first one I saw. It doesn't describe anything like what I got goin on. It's weird. I'm leaning towards getting a new TPS and new valve body, filter and fluid change and just being done with.

whiplash473

Tyler
Reaction score
okay so I ready through everything on this trans that I could. I have a 97 extended cab z71 350 and 4l60. Well the problem is sorta intermittent. It will shift pretty hard into second gear from first under regular throttle but usually will shift smooth if I give it more gas and let it shift around 3k or 3.5k. Problem is worse when the trans is cold. Well I let s little fluid out bc it was a bit high and it shifted smooth but it will shift real smooth like its slipping a bit then grab like it didn't fully engage at first. I know this sounds weird but this is the best way I can describe all this. Any ideas at all?
Mine has been doing this for years. Hasn't gotten worse or better. How you described it is better than anything I've been able to come up with. Post back with results, I'd like to hear if anything changes.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
also sounds like mine, just a harder 1-2 than I feel comfortable with, I know I'm about due for a fluid/filter change and for extra precaution I'm gonna throw in some Lucas treatment for trans.