Water Temp Switch Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
So after a long drive home over the weekend I got home and unloaded the truck. About an hour later I had to go to the store and noticed my gauge was at 100 and never moved.

Started off with the basics. Ground out the wire and the gauge pegs out so I said bad sending unit. Bought two the one for the side of the block and the one by the thermostat housing and still having the same problem. So now I'm stumped. Am I missing anything?

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Wife's Suburban did the same thing,it never warmed up.Replaced the thermostat and all is well now(must've been stuck fully open).Coolant temp is as it's supposed to be.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 98 5700 vortec takes a heckuva long time to warm up. I put in a new ACDelco thermostat, and it behaves exactly as it did with the old one. The gauge usually shows a bit below half way on the scale when it is fully warmed up. Maybe this is normal?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My 98 5700 vortec takes a heckuva long time to warm up. I put in a new ACDelco thermostat, and it behaves exactly as it did with the old one. The gauge usually shows a bit below half way on the scale when it is fully warmed up. Maybe this is normal?

If it's reading around halfway on the gauge, that's about right. Should be right around 190-200 degrees.

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going to measure the temp, maybe by using one of those infra red type of devices? Not sure about those things, though.

I gather you just point it at something, and it reads the temp. Should I point it at the left hand rad header tank?

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
No mine is literally between the 100 and the first tick mark. I'm stumped because it's not making any sense. Tomorrow I'm gonna check the thermostat just to be safe. I installed a new one 2 months ago when I did a coolant flush and replaced the hoses

Solid94

Chevy Ridin' High
Reaction score
Well the POS tstat I bought at auto zone was stuck wide open.....new tstat from Napa(made in the USA) and everything is working as it should. What a PITA lol