Vortec 454 getting hot at idle... fine while driving.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
So everyone, my vortec 454 runs around 210, always has. Recently it started getting hotter, (230-240) when at idle. But goes back down to 210 once I start driving again......

Water pump was replaced in 2011, bought it from AAP, but it could possibly be going bad.

What do you guys think?

Water Pump?
Radiator?
Thermostat?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Most likely the fan clutch. Airflow while you're moving is enough to keep you cool, fan at idle probably isn't doing much.

Richard

rosco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could also be something as simple as it needing a radiator flush. How does the coolant look? It does sound like the fan clutch though.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I'll look into the fan clutch. Coolant looks fine.

Thanks guys

mistaake

Reaction score
If the truck runs hotter at a red light or in slow stop-and-go traffic it does indeed sound like a problem with the cooling fan or fan clutch. When you're moving the air pushed through the radiator and over the engine keeps it cool, but while slow/stopped it does not, and the fan should then turn on, but in this case it sounds like it isn't.

VCaddy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Random, but how do the fins on the A/C condenser look? My dad's truck would overheat in low speed driving when the fan is doing all the work. Turned out that some of the fins on the condenser were flattened, so they blocked airflow.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Random, but how do the fins on the A/C condenser look? My dad's truck would overheat in low speed driving when the fan is doing all the work. Turned out that some of the fins on the condenser were flattened, so they blocked airflow.

They look fine to me, haven't really ever been hit or damaged.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
I have a couple extra 6.5 fans/fan clutches... would that work on a 454?