Vibration while pressing gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I would check the drive-line and wheel balance. A factory drive shaft is not likely to go out of balance, but don't rule it out.

Start with the wheels. You go mudd'n? Make sure you don't have mud stuck to the inside of the wheel. Weight can fall off as well. When was the last time you changed the U-joints? Shake the drive shaft and try to move the u-joint side to side on each end., Any slack replace U-joint with also a new strap and hardware on the rear. While your there check your pinion yoke. You may need to replace the locking nut on the end. If that is the case, while you have the nut off look at your pinion seal. You would have to replace the nut each time you take it off. It is a one time nut. then check your front u-joint in the same manner as your rear. Also, check your drive shaft for any dents and dings. This can cause it not to be straight and therefore vibrate. Look to see if you slung a weight on the drive shaft. If all of these check out have it looked at by a reparable drive line technician.

Another question is when have you changed bearings in the rear differential? Bad bearings in the pumpkin can cause it to vibrate. I had one disintegrate on me. I was able to make it back to the shop going 25 mph. When I opened it the only thing there was pieces of the bearings everywhere and the outer race was slightly damaged from the axle slapping it. axle was fine. Took hours with a magnet, rags and a-lot of gas to get the shavings out of the axle housing and diff housing. The carrier's driver side bearing ear was broken off. That was a special order. As you can see there are lots of things that can cause your issue. you just have to take your time ruling them out.

On a side note, when you open the diff add a couple of heavy duty rectangle magnets from Radio Shack and place them on the bottom of the pumpkin center away from the ring gear.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask hear or PM me.

98WhiteZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would check the drive-line and wheel balance. A factory drive shaft is not likely to go out of balance, but don't rule it out.

Start with the wheels. You go mudd'n? Make sure you don't have mud stuck to the inside of the wheel. Weight can fall off as well. When was the last time you changed the U-joints? Shake the drive shaft and try to move the u-joint side to side on each end., Any slack replace U-joint with also a new strap and hardware on the rear. While your there check your pinion yoke. You may need to replace the locking nut on the end. If that is the case, while you have the nut off look at your pinion seal. You would have to replace the nut each time you take it off. It is a one time nut. then check your front u-joint in the same manner as your rear. Also, check your drive shaft for any dents and dings. This can cause it not to be straight and therefore vibrate. Look to see if you slung a weight on the drive shaft. If all of these check out have it looked at by a reparable drive line technician.

Another question is when have you changed bearings in the rear differential? Bad bearings in the pumpkin can cause it to vibrate. I had one disintegrate on me. I was able to make it back to the shop going 25 mph. When I opened it the only thing there was pieces of the bearings everywhere and the outer race was slightly damaged from the axle slapping it. axle was fine. Took hours with a magnet, rags and a-lot of gas to get the shavings out of the axle housing and diff housing. The carrier's driver side bearing ear was broken off. That was a special order. As you can see there are lots of things that can cause your issue. you just have to take your time ruling them out.

On a side note, when you open the diff add a couple of heavy duty rectangle magnets from Radio Shack and place them on the bottom of the pumpkin center away from the ring gear.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask hear or PM me.

I don't think you saw my updated post in the thread

****Okay so update on this. Ended up pulling the driveshaft back off and checking the front u joint again and appears either I got a faulty u joint or installed it wrong. Either way it got replaced. and now new symptoms sort of.

So what is happening now. I can accelerate just fine with no vibration at all. There is how ever a vibration now when I release the gas. and this vibration only occurs for maybe 2-3 seconds long after releasing the gas. Also only occurs at speeds greater than 45-50 MPH.

so thoughts on this issue?

livelifewideopen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be trans mount, could be clutch fan sticking. Both cheap things to check especially if either you or one of your buddies has a parts truck.

98WhiteZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be trans mount, could be clutch fan sticking. Both cheap things to check especially if either you or one of your buddies has a parts truck.

I was thinking along the lines of the trans mount also.

Any body ever replaced a trans mount on one of these as I never have and cant seem to find a how to on replacing it.

aleebee156

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had similar symptoms, went through all the same stuff you have. It ended up being the torque converter.

When you're at speed what does the truck do when you press the break pedal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackwater

Engineering Geinus
Reaction score
I don't think you saw my updated post in the thread

****Okay so update on this. Ended up pulling the driveshaft back off and checking the front u joint again and appears either I got a faulty u joint or installed it wrong. Either way it got replaced. and now new symptoms sort of.

So what is happening now. I can accelerate just fine with no vibration at all. There is how ever a vibration now when I release the gas. and this vibration only occurs for maybe 2-3 seconds long after releasing the gas. Also only occurs at speeds greater than 45-50 MPH.

so thoughts on this issue?

If you are getting vibration when slowing down then it is still in the drive train. You don't feel the vibration when the drive train is under load. Only when its relaxed. There is some slack somewhere, possibly the rear diff. bearings possibly.

livelifewideopen

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking along the lines of the trans mount also.

Any body ever replaced a trans mount on one of these as I never have and cant seem to find a how to on replacing it.
There are 2 bolts2 bolts in cross member under back of trans, jack up tranny slightly by the tailshaft. Then figure out how to do it from there. I did mine with my clutch so I had the cross member out anyway, i dont think its required if thats all youre doing.

98WhiteZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I had similar symptoms, went through all the same stuff you have. It ended up being the torque converter.

When you're at speed what does the truck do when you press the break pedal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically if i am on the highway and cruising any where from 45-70 MPH with me controlling the pedal there is no vibration. Once i let go of the gas pedal maybe .5 seconds later the vibration starts. last for about 2-3 seconds at most and then goes away.

the vibration is there regardless of me pressing the brake or not.

98WhiteZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If you are getting vibration when slowing down then it is still in the drive train. You don't feel the vibration when the drive train is under load. Only when its relaxed. There is some slack somewhere, possibly the rear diff. bearings possibly.

Exactly its only when there is no load on the drivetrain.

Is there a way to check the rear diff bearings?
I assume pull the cover but never had to check this before so don't know anything after that.