Vibration idle and cursing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thinking my motor mounts are bad I get this low vibration when idling and driving down the road. How hard are they to change out any other thoughts what I could be

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thinking my motor mounts are bad I get this low vibration when idling and driving down the road. How hard are they to change out any other thoughts what I could be
Should be able to verify fairly easily. Inspect while manually opening the throttle body by hand. I haven't heard of the mounts themselves going out and causing a sound at idle, every bad mount I've heard makes a pretty distinctive *thunk* sound on acceleration when the engine torque is fighting against the mount, but sounds perfectly normal at idle, steady speed, or deceleration when the engine is just sitting there.

As far a what else it could be, depends on when the vibration starts. Is it only when driving? If so, is it at a particular wheel speed or engine speed? If changing gears affects it, it's engine related, if it's wheel speed related, that all by eliminates anything to do with the engine and let's you know to look from the transmission back. Could be a simple alignment, worn bushing in steering system, pitman or idler arm, unbalanced tire, loose heat shield, etc. The list goes on and on with no other info.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Xxl2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only makes a think sound when shifting in to reverse

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Should be pretty smooth. Is this is a TBI or Vortec?

I helped my brother change his '90 c1500 distributer due to no start condition and also helped him set timing with timing light. Engine ran pretty smooth. Was actually impressed!

I had recently changed my injectors on my '00 k3500 and it idles and runs pretty smooth. Previously had an injector sticking, so idle was kind of not smooth, but not rough either....ran much better after injector swap.

Just depends on what you are running.

I mean, will not be as quite as as as a ****** pruis, but shouldn't be rattling windshields/mirros and such...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything is possible. My '88 has original, 300,000+ mile rubber mounts.

Mounts don't CAUSE vibration. Maybe they fail to absorb vibration.

This is almost certainly NOT the result of failed mounts. Figure out why the engine is misfiring.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OP, start at the beginning and describe the problem completely then proof read before you post.
The title says "cursing" which I take for cruising since your initial post said a low vibration "driving down the road". Later you said it makes a "think" sound going into reverse. Conflicting info or multiple problems we may need to look at separately. 2/3 of your info makes me think U joints the other 1/3 does not.
You never mentioned misfire but others did.
We can help if you are a little more clear on the problem.