Underhood corded light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My 99 doesn't have the corded light, and my dad's old 96 does. Did the light come with some package/rpo that I don't have, or was it simply a year thing... GM stopped adding them?

It looks like I don't have the holes in the firewall, but the firewall is dimpled. I didn't see an empty plug on my wiring harness there, but it's dark and I was working by flashlight and the regular underhood light. Are the wires buried someplace? I did find an old forsale post, and it looked like the wiring harness was a standalone deal, unless that was someone's adaptation.

Anyone swap the bulb to LED?

I borrowed his old truck while I was doing some work on mine, and I'm trying to decide if I want to grab the light before it gets sold.

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Z71Hobbs has a few for sale I believe. The light just needs power and ground. I mounted one in my 99 on the firewall. The dimples were there for it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I picked one up today actually lol-let me get it cleaned up and tested.

You can mount in a few places, oem on the vortec Trucks is on the firewall. There are apparently a couple different kinds of reel lights. The ones on 96+ have a slightly different back plate that allows for different mounting options, the one on 95 (I believe) and older has a 3 position mounting pattern, and that one mounted on passenger fender between air intake and battery.

Based on a cursory look, I think you could mount an older style on the firewall and just use 2 screws, or use a longer 3rd screw, or you could just mount it elsewhere.

Anyways..long post..if you are interested in the one I just picked up...shoot me a pm.

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also..you can fit an led in it. Based on some quick research, it looks like an 18 smd with the right bulb base should fit. I have a 27 smd in my underhood light, and it’s a tad too tall for the reel light..I think 18 smd is the next smallest...at least on super bright leds it is.

Jared Jackson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@Z71Hobbs has a few for sale I believe. The light just needs power and ground. I mounted one in my 99 on the firewall. The dimples were there for it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Did you just splice into the factory harness for the stationary under-hood light?