Underdrive pulley kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

matt sorrentino

350 TBI Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello all, I wanted to know what options are out there for an underdrive pulley kit for my 94 Silverado 350 TBI. Any gains? Any recommendations? Thanks in advance

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
From what I have read previously, nothing really to be gained by doing so. I think it also causes you other drive accessories not to work as well, or have to work harder?

matt sorrentino

350 TBI Fanatic
Reaction score
Well I was reading that what they do is slow down al the accessories to allow the engine to have more power. They swear up and down that it doesn't affect the normal operation of the components. For the kit is about $149 so I might give it a shot. Mostly I'm looking for people that already have installed a kit

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If this kit would produce more power, and/or better fuel mileage, you can bet the factory would have designed the pulley system this way.

The situation where an underdrive could be beneficial, is if you consistently operate your engine at high RPMs, say over 4500 most of the time. Then, it makes sense to slow down the alternator, PS pump, AC compressor, etc.

Otherwise, kiss your money goodbye!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In addition to what the others have said, these kits almost always cause idle charging issues with factory alternators. They work fine when you're driving around, but at idle they won't spin the alternator pulley fast enough to keep up with the drain on the battery. Not an issue for some people's driving habits, but definitely not something I'd ever do to one of my trucks.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Plenty of people complain about the heavy steering feel at low speed in a pre-1997 GMT400 as well. Imagine that with a power steering pump that is spinning slower than normal.

Richard