TUNE UP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never used any msd stuff so I can't say really. I'm very satisfied with the dui stuff an would buy it again.

Sorry that isn't much help lol.

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've never used any msd stuff so I can't say really. I'm very satisfied with the dui stuff an would buy it again.

Sorry that isn't much help lol.

It is actually though cause I didnt know about that other place & now I do.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you need a new dizzy they have a billet aluminum one for like $90 too. I will eventually get one if I don't swap to an LS when my vortec dies

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Stay away from Bosch plugs I have NGK V-Groove plugs and I really should change them out I know I have way over 80K miles on them and she is running good.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I say that cause it seems like everyone always says only to use Delco parts b/c everytime they put MSD, Accel or any other brand of aftermarket parts that they have issues until they go back to a stock replacement piece. So from your post I got that MSD wires are ok & will work fine which is a good thing. NGK plugs are ok to run if you wanna get away from Delco, I'm guessing Autolite would be fine as well? Thats what I run in my TA & I like those. But when it comes to rotor & cap I should just use a Delco replacement? So even though this MSD cap/rotor set says it has brass contacts I should avoid it? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8017/

I'm just tryin to figure out why some people say they cant get anything except stock replacement parts to work right but others say they have had success with parts from MSD & so fourth. I'm still tryin to learn about these motors & what they do & dont like, thats all. I know with the PCM swap I'll get alot more flexibility to tweak it but thats down the road a ways sadly.

I don't see why that msd cap/rotor wouldn't work...however it's not going to give you any 'gains' or anything, it's just a different color. it's been a while since I've priced caps/rotors out, so you'll want to look and see if the price of the MSD is too high or something.

autolites should work fine too, I know several guys running them without a problem...Those parts from performance distributors that bluex linked to are excellent quality, I've run all their parts in the past and been satisfied with them...the aluminum distributor body they offer is good too, its a good upgrade from the factory plastic body which tends to strip/crack at the cap mounting points over time...

There definitely is a benefit of delco vs low end aftermarket...and some of people's preference towards factory vs aftermarket comes from other places like history, or price, or availablity....etc...not to mention that when a person new to mechanics asks what to use, delco is a very safe answer for someone not accustomed to troubleshooting things....etc...but realistically, any quality part should work fine. the PCM doesn't have anything to do with what brand parts can be used....the vortecs use the same OBDII setup as the 411 and LS engines, the vortec PCMs were more primative when you get into tuning aspects (lower resolution tables, etc)...but that has no bearing on tune up parts....now if you were talking about going boosted, then yeah the 411 opens up alot of possibilities just because it has more support for things like that....

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't see why that msd cap/rotor wouldn't work...however it's not going to give you any 'gains' or anything, it's just a different color. it's been a while since I've priced caps/rotors out, so you'll want to look and see if the price of the MSD is too high or something.

autolites should work fine too, I know several guys running them without a problem...Those parts from performance distributors that bluex linked to are excellent quality, I've run all their parts in the past and been satisfied with them...the aluminum distributor body they offer is good too, its a good upgrade from the factory plastic body which tends to strip/crack at the cap mounting points over time...

There definitely is a benefit of delco vs low end aftermarket...and some of people's preference towards factory vs aftermarket comes from other places like history, or price, or availablity....etc...not to mention that when a person new to mechanics asks what to use, delco is a very safe answer for someone not accustomed to troubleshooting things....etc...but realistically, any quality part should work fine. the PCM doesn't have anything to do with what brand parts can be used....the vortecs use the same OBDII setup as the 411 and LS engines, the vortec PCMs were more primative when you get into tuning aspects (lower resolution tables, etc)...but that has no bearing on tune up parts....now if you were talking about going boosted, then yeah the 411 opens up alot of possibilities just because it has more support for things like that....

Ok, its making more sense now. Ya just never know what your stepping into jumping platforms, thats where I'm at with it all. Tricks I used on my LS seem to be a no no with the Vortec & it seems parts are even more limited if running the Vortec intake & heads as opposed to earlier versions of the engine. I'm pretty good at trouble shooting & turning wrenches, I just like to do lots of research before I just blindly go modifying things. LOL, hell thats probably why my LS has held together for so long, LOL.

Now when it comes to swapping the dist. out there is a catch right? I remember reading you cannot reset the timing exactly without having it flashed correct? So that would be a mod best left for absolutely having to change it or if there are enough other changes a flash is warranted correct?

Where do you stand on this then since your alot more familiar with this platform....Would you say the 411 swap is worth it on a mildly modified truck with basic bolt-ons & small cam or just get a Black Bear tune? I'm not one to constantly change parts & tweak my tuning so part of me leans toward the BB tune. And tuners in my area I'd trust are very limited too.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
parts are only limited because the vortec injection system was really a limited production, so there isn't alot of aftermarket with them, and its an odd design so alot of 'standard' parts (like injectors) just won't work.

yeah there is a catch with the distributor. its not having it flashed, its setting the CMP offset which requires a proper scanner to view the data while you're setting it, this should help though:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/distributor.html

the 411 is great...however its mostly a tuning based mod. if you're not going to be doing the tuning, and only running pretty close to stock, then it probably isn't going to be worth it to you...here's info on the swap if you want to read about it:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/12200411.html

big_mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, thanks. These engines & mods available are kinda throwin me off after coming from the LS world where the engine responds extremely well to basically any mod & have a endless list of parts that work & work well.

So besides the marine intake swap we are stuck with the stock intake as a option as well huh? All the Vortec intakes I see are listed as TBI or carbed which tells me they wont work on the 96+ trucks right? So best bang for the buck would be a small cam engine wise & a tune PCM wise. I'd like to do the LT header install when I get the cash, so I have the exhaust figured out already. And I know eventually I'll upgrade the the better fuel injection spider thing, LOL.

How does everyone feel about under drive pullies? Worthless on this platform or worth doin for the price? They seem priced ALOT cheaper than one for my LS, LOL.