tune up parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

new2this

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
wanna do a pretty full tune up this is the list ive come up with so far. Let me know what im missing

fuel filter
o2 sensor
pcv valve
rotor and cap set
wire set
spark plug
serpentine belt
coolant/ trans flush
brake pads and rotors
alignment
seafoam
fuel cleaner
transmission treatment

what else am i missing? after my buddies parents gave him the 97 tahoe 2wd he literally did no maintenance (oil change was done though) or up keep at all for a couple years moved and sold it to me for cheap so i want to get a full tune up done. also my steering wheel has alot of play what could cause this?

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Don't forget a new air filter!

What he said!
I would probably just change the tranny fluid instead of add a treatment to it. Also I know the oil was changed recently, but if you're going to seafoam it, you'll want to change the oil within 50-100 miles of doing that. I would probably change the thermostat too. Also depending on the miles, you may want to change gear oil too! Thats not exactly critical though.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All that looks great EXCEPT the tranny flush, if it has not been serviced like it should then I would only top it off if it is low, or you will start losing gears.

GO with all ACDelco ignition parts, I would run a wix fuel and oil filter if it was me. Seafoam through the PCV line and some in the tank.

Wagner pads and either turned rotors or Raybesto rotors.

Also, deff change the rear diff fluid, get a new gasket and some RTV. Can switch to Synthetic oil if you want, over time the fluid breaks down and collect moisture, so it is important to change.

Grease the front end too.

new2this

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so dont flush the transmission? only problem im having with the trans is that it shifts a bit hard when cold only first to second tho.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not sure on chevys now fords and some dodges you DO NOT change fluid if it hasn't been done on a reg. basis. IT WILL loose gears and slip.

As he said, top it off, or even change the filter, but save the fluid, filter it, reuse and top off if need be.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't even change the filter, just leave it be, if you drain it, you will loosen stuff up in there that has been in there for a long time and then stuf starts going south, just top it off. How does the fluid look? DOes it have a corvette servo in it?

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeere we go again. If the transmission is performing as it should now, it will be fine after a flush. You aren't going to "loosen anything up" because I can PROMISE you, there's nothing in there to loosen up. The fluid passages see hydraulic pressure upwards of 300psi on a stock transmission at WOT with the forward clutches engaged. If a fluid passage was actually obstructed you would notice it in everyday driving. There will be gunk and debris in the pan, but it's easy to clean up. Buy three gallons of generic DexIII plus a couple of spare quarts, drain the pan, change the filter and go about flushing it via the heat exchanger lines going into the radiator. It's simple and it will not damage the transmission. We've had umpteen guys on GMFS do this to transmissions, some with over 200K miles with the only side effect being much better shifting.

The old wives' tale about transmissions failing after a flush is due to neglect and poor maintenance. Many people would have that done as a fix of last resort due to a slipping or failing transmission, and when it failed totally shortly after they blamed it on the flush. It's ridiculous. Maintain your **** and go about your day. It will be fine.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
on a chevy maybe so, because I've done it and never had a problem, now on a ford NO!!!!! or even dodge.

I have personally seen several fords, perfect working trans, fluid and filter change and shortly after then started slipping and stopped working.