Trying to install 8 bolt center caps on my stock rims

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PEIslander

Reaction score
A friend gave me a nice set of factory Chevy plastic 8 bolt center caps for my 94 3500 SRW truck. The fronts installed without any problem however the plastic nuts on the caps wont "grab" the threads on the rear lug nuts. My truck has the full floating rear end. Are there specific caps for this rear end or were they just not available? My rims are all identical factory steelies. The caps sit nice and flush against the wheel. It appears the lug nuts don't stick out as far on the rears as they do on the fronts.
Thanks
Todd

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can you post a photo of the caps? What year did they came out of?

Is it these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-Chevrolet-Silverado-3500-/164468576852?nma=true&si=6H5aDj7xQjZd71wHO6VtD75bkH0%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I know some of the early GMT400 came with like Dana 70? Not all of them came with the GM 14 bolt back then. Do you know what axle you have? I'm wondering if the hubs on another axle that's not a 14 bolt are longer and don't allow those plastic nuts to catch the thread?

BTW, those plastic nuts most often break, but you order replacements from RA.

http://www.billavista.com/Tech/Articles/14-Bolt_Bible/index.html

Last edited:

PEIslander

Reaction score
Those appear to be the same caps on the Ebay truck. I "think" the rear is a Dana 80. I've only had the truck a few weeks so I'm still trying to determine what all this truck has. Here's a photo of the differential:
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those caps will work on either axle, Dana 70, 14 bolt semi and full float. I had the black caps on 3 or 4 different trucks, all with different rears. Kinda hard to guess whats going on, snap some pics so we can see.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It sounds like you may not have the clamp rings under the lug nuts on your rear wheels? If so that's not good.

Or, you have the wrong plastic lug caps (not enough depth) to grab the external threads on the lugs.

A couple of possibilities, anyway. May not be the correct ones. ;)

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'll shoot some photos tomorrow in the daylight. I don't have any sort of clamping ring. Did the single rear wheel trucks have one?
Oh! My bad.. No! I thought you had a dually for some reason; was too half-awake to notice your avatar pic OR the fact that you did state the truck is SRW. LOL.. I work nights and don't sleep much.

Some pics would help; you may have the wrong caps. If the rears aren't deep enough then obviously the hub of a FF 14 bolt are gonna keep the cap from fitting if the caps happen to be from an 8 lug with the SF (no protruding hubs.)

Richard

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I just measured my K3500 SRW.

That cap measured about 4 1/4" in height.

The hub on the wheel protrudes approximately 3" from the rim, measured to the the bolts heads.

I hope this helps.