Truck running poorly, backfiring, stalling NEED HELP!!! PLEASE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnbalderas90k1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 1990 k1500 well here is the story. I got this truck unsmogged and was In the process of getting it smogged. I took it to get it smogged and it failed to high of nox. I took it to my school (UTI) and I had the smog and emissions class look at it and the nox was way too high and my timing was 2 degrees after. Well futher diagnosis led to a bad egr valve I searched around and found the right one and replaced it. The next day I took it to Get it smogged and it passed mind you the truck was running pretty good this whole time nice and steady idle not missing. Well anyways I went home after getting it smogged and I parked it in the drive way and came back a few hours later and it started running horribly it won't even stay running for more than 10 seconds. It backfires through the intake sometimes and just runs erratically I can't even drive it. I pulled the dist. Cap and the rotor was burnt to crap so figured that was it replaced that and it didn't fix a thing. I am stumped pretty much I am gonna test the fuel pressure And see where it's at. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Oh almost forgot sometimes when I parked it on a hilll like a steep driveway it wouldn't start I would have to put it in neutral and roll off the incline to start it oh by the way it's a 350 motor

strawberry

Reaction score
i would check all your vac lines running to your egr and map sensor, also ive got these symptoms from a bad control module on the dist. or knock sensor before.

Last edited:

Toms94z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ok i would check your dist clamp and make sure its not loose, my friend had that happen on his 91 when the clamp was loose and his dist moved on him.

90-scott

Reaction score
Just fixed similar problem on my 90 k1500. Turned out it was a combo of bad ignition control module and a bad map sensor.

bigtmoney

Reaction score
When you put the dizzy back in, did you set the timing to 0 degrees with the wire unplugged at the firewall?