Truck pulls to the right when braking. 97 Tahoe 2dr 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fred4t8

Reaction score
I replaced the front pads, rotors, wheel bearings, and calipers, and it still pulled hard to the right.

I noticed when replacing the calipers that the driver's side banjo fitting leaked a lot less than the passenger's side when I removed the calipers for replacement. So that led me to believe the driver's side brake hose was compromised. I replaced that, and the truck still pulls to the right when braking (not nearly as bad as before, but it still drifts to the right).

Any ideas on why replacing the driver's side hose only fixed the problem partially?

Thanks guys.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Because you're supposed to replace them both at the same time. :gr_grin:

Seriously, I bet the passenger side line is messed up worse than the drivers side was. They're cheap enough, just do them both.

fred4t8

Reaction score
Because you're supposed to replace them both at the same time. :gr_grin:

Seriously, I bet the passenger side line is messed up worse than the drivers side was. They're cheap enough, just do them both.

I'm going to replace the passenger side hose, BUT the truck pulls to the RIGHT. That tells me there's something wrong with the left side, that's why I only replaced the left side hose first. I don't expect replacing the passenger side hose will solve my problem...... :Frustrated:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I understand your logic, and honestly you may be right. Just throwing my opinion out there because whenever this problem inevitably gets posted once every month or two, that's the first suggestion that everyone throws out. Replace BOTH soft lines on the front. Could be that the pass. side line is collapsing somewhere and behaving erratically. For as cheap as they are, it's good insurance if nothing else.

EDIT - Short of that, I'd be looking real closely at your calipers. Just because they're new, doesn't mean they're good. I've had calipers for my Suburban be defective right out of the box.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Its almost definitely the right hose. It collapses, and pushing the pedal pushes fluid to the caliper, but when you let off the pedal, the pistons don't return because theres just the right amount of blockage. Then when you push the pedal the next time, the hose on the right side is already partially pressured up so the right side grabs first. The collapsed part of the hose kind of acts like a check valve. I bet if you pull that hose off youll find that you can take an air blower and push air the one way and not the other. And as was already said, replace both at the same time, theyre cheap, and youre already there.

fred4t8

Reaction score
Update:
I replaced the right hose, it still pulls to the right when braking. Not a hard pull, but it's still going to the right.
Recap: I replaced the front rotors, bearings, pads, hoses, and calipers.
This weekend I did the rear. The replaced the rear drums, shoes, hardware, adjustment kits, and wheel cylinders. The old right front shoe was broken at the top. The left front shoe was cracked.
I bled the brakes more times than I'd like to mention. I took a drive, backing up, setting e-brake, all the normal stuff. Took the rear wheels off again and manually adjusted the rear shoes so they were both barely touching the drums on both sides. Still goes right.

Is there anything else it could be? :shrug:

13.robb

Reaction score
swap the pads side to side. If it goes left, its a bad set of pads, if it goes straight then you are good. Worked for gm for a lot of years brake and frt end, somewhat common, seen it probably 100+ times. oem parts are expensive for a reason. This is based on the fact that your alignment is good and there isnt any overly worn front end parts.

jedifan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The issue may have to do with a collapsed brake hose.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
So what brand replacement parts did you buy? If you got duralast rotors and pads and drums etc then thats why its not working correctly. I went through this problem and a shuddering problem when breaking because duralast is junk. I spent $300 plus on the best slotted rotors at napa and the matching ceramic pads and guess what. Like magic once youvreplace the duracrap ZERO issues!