Truck dies when put in gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1990rooster

Reaction score
I have a 1990 gmc 350 700r4 the truck dies every time I put it in gear reverse drive overdrive 1st second I can get it moving if I load up on the throttle. Timing may be off? Any ideas?

adambru

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My old TBI did that too, its most likely your throttle position sensor. I had to get the cable adjusted they like to come loose.

4x4incountryboy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine did that, my timing was off but i had just built the motor and it was our first "test run" so to speak. after that was adjusted, we had to set the idle up a little bit ( carbed )

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Did it just start doing it? Need more info, so many things it could be, e.g. my truck would do the same thing when the fuel pump finally croaked

1990rooster

Reaction score
Just started doing it. Tps will be in in a few hours i hope. Possibly could be the fuel pump. But just found out im stuxk in second so maybe tps. Break booster is bad so mabe that. Or timing i just put the motor in 50 miles ago converter could be locked tranny has been rebuilt i just have to start process of elmonation i suppose

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
If you're stuck in second, your trans could be in "limp" mode. If you have the electronic trans, check the fuse, could be popped. If not, try resetting your computer by disconnecting the battery for like 10 minutes. You can test the TPS with a multimeter. Should be .5v closed throttle, and open slowly to WOT (engine off, key on) should be like 4.5v or 5v (i forget) with no deadspots.

1990rooster

Reaction score
Replaced tps no go. It's a 700r4 I'm in 13 inches of snow right now with no garage so working on it is limited

adambru

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Try adjusting the idle speed too, there's a small screw on the side of the throttle body that you can play with.