Truck Dies, complete loss of power.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scotttick

WHO ME?
Reaction score
Here lately, my truck will just die while at idle. It is a total loss of power, no lights work and the radio resets. eventually, the lights will come back after a few minutes and the truck will crank/run but idle badly and try to die again (but will not lose power). I have checked the battery cables because they use to cause me problems, but they are good and tight. Any ideas? I plan on checking the grounds today after work, I do not have the big 3 upgrade yet.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Little info on the truck would be helpful. Sounds like a circuit breaker or fusible link somewhere is not functioning correctly.

1988GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i would start out checking the battery cables not just connection but the cables them selves my dad had an old ford that a couple years ago that the battery acid ate the cables from the inside out and they were hollow and only worked some times then would die and not idle right. Buts that's just my two cents