Truck Bogging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So last winter I had removed the EGR and EGR valve from my truck. It ran fine all last winter and throughout the summer. This past fall and this winter it began to bog and had a rough idle. It idles really low and after accelerating it bogs and stumbles and sometimes backfires. I have replaced plugs, wires, cap, and rotor but no change. I am having the truck retuned in order to tune out the EGR in hopes of fixing the bogging. Any other thoughts?

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a vacuum leak, did you plug everything that was deleted?

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Everything is plugged in and hoses all seem fine. I just did fuel filter today and no change. Hopefully not a fuel pump.

I can rev the truck up in park and it seems fine. Hold it at a higher RPM, and then hit the gas again and it is fine.

But when driving it is fine until after it shifts, then it doesn't have enough power to get up to speed.

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dont hate me, but you just described a fuel pump issue. Doesn't take much fuel to rev in park, not much load when you're not in gear.

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just check my records and it did just have the fuel pump replaced 1.5 years ago.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Backfiring through the exhaust or intake?

If it's thru the exhaust, I'd be inclined to think the problem is ignition, not fuel.

Either way, check your fuel pressure before throwing a pump or anything at it.

rcman989

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am thinking fuel pump. After replacing the fuel filter last night it ran a little better this morning, still had some hesitation. Which leads me to believe fuel pump.

I tried / checked about everything with iginition. New coil, plugs, wires, cap and rotor and still had the problem. It was a couple degrees off, i don't remember if it was advanced or retard, but it was nothing drastic to cause problems.