Trouble With My 350 (2000 K2500)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChevyRy96

Reaction score
Hey! I have a 2000 k2500 with a 350 that I recently have done some work to. I put in head gaskets, had the heads machined, installed JBA 6830 headers, deleted my cats, mpfi conversion, new distributor, egr delete, new o2 sensors, installed flow master series 50 exhaust, then brakes and shocks. Before these modifications I had no CEL or codes. When I got done it ran poorly, I figured it was because it was just "rough timed" so I brought it in to a dealer to have it timed. After I had the P0405 code for the egr and a timing code, both of which I expected. When I got it back it didn't run any better and I had random P0151 code. The mechanic who worked on it said that he pulled a plug when he timed it and it was very sooty, and thought that it wasn't running right because of the o2 code. I deleted the codes and have gotten the P0405 egr code to come back but not the o2 code. I am wondering what I should do to get this thing operating correctly. Does the computer need a tune to be able to compensate for the recent mods? Should I try to mess around with the o2 sensors to see if that helps anything? If it is sooty as the tech said, should I try new plugs? I really am not sure where to dig in

You must be registered for see images attach

TravisR

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So you installed the O2 sensors in the new headers? Maybe it needs three-wire (heated) O2 sensors now -- the new headers might be introducing heat to the sensors in a different way.

Last edited:

ChevyRy96

Reaction score
That is correct, they are in the headers. Is that a common thing with headers?

Thanks for the reply!!

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So you installed the O2 sensors in the new headers? Maybe it needs three-wire (heated) O2 sensors now -- the new headers might be introducing heat to the sensors in a different way.

His truck has 4 wire sensors. The truck NEEDS a tune to work properly with these mods, I can't believe this is even a question. The truck would have been faster than it is now with just a tune in otherwise bone stock condition.

ChevyRy96

Reaction score
That's kind of what I was thinking would need to be done. This is my first attempt at these kinds of modifications so thanks for the input! I'll go get a black bear tune and see what happens. Thanks again!