trashed distributor ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had the distributor apart to inspect it and to install a new pickup coil and ignition module in my '91 350. What I found was the shroud was bent out of shape and what looked a lot like bits of rock in there. Most likely that was material securing the magnets in place. Turning the shaft by hand it was catching on something. So after disassembling I found the coil retainer looked like half of it was missing and gone. It looks to me like the clip may have broke in half and jammed against the shroud then gouging into the magnet wheel braking some of the material securing the magnets loose. That's all I can figure. I straightened the shroud and cleaned up in there real good and reassembled with the new coil and module. This is an 82,000 mile truck and the shaft is nice and snug.
A couple of the magnets have bits missing but it runs pretty good. How critical is the size of all 8 magnets? I will most likely replace the whole dist but am curious how these work.
What is the preferred brand of replacement distributor for our trucks? Budget minded of course for this all stock, original truck.
Appreciate your input.

highwaystar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just ordered last Friday a dist. from here for my '94 350. They built one & curved it for my '78 Trans Am and it was perfect. My '94's oem dist. has 300k mi., still working but may need it just in case.

Silverado1994

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was gonna say something along those lines as far as just replacement of the distributor. At Rock Auto the entire distributor is around $85 which is pretty affordable and hassle free. Just drop it in, set the timing and go.

Check it out: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=679730&cc=1031230&pt=7108&jsn=1020

As far as the magnets are concerned, I've never really worked with those. I usually just replace the entire distributor due to the minimal cost of the unit.

Last edited:

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just ordered last Friday a dist. from here for my '94 350. They built one & curved it for my '78 Trans Am and it was perfect. My '94's oem dist. has 300k mi., still working but may need it just in case.
Their long lead time is just too much. Poor reviews turned me off too. Thanks though.

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was gonna say something along those lines as far as just replacement of the distributor. At Rock Auto the entire distributor is around $85 which is pretty affordable and hassle free. Just drop it in, set the timing and go.

Check it out: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=679730&cc=1031230&pt=7108&jsn=1020

As far as the magnets are concerned, I've never really worked with those. I usually just replace the entire distributor due to the minimal cost of the unit.
That is dirt cheap alright, comparatively speaking. That same part number Cardone unit at my O'Reillys is $137 but not available at this time.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A mass-market rebuilt distributor is better than an OEM broken distributor.

I don't know of anyone making a "NEW" distributor that I'd trust. "New" generally means "Chinese"; and they're not noted for quality.

When it's me, if the housing and bushings are in good condition, I drop a replacement distributor shaft assembly and pickup coil into the original housing. Replace the gear/module/etc. as needed.

Replacement shafts are still available, (I thought they were discontinued, but I was wrong.) They cost more than a mass-market rebuilt distributor. Go figure.

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A mass-market rebuilt distributor is better than an OEM broken distributor.

I don't know of anyone making a "NEW" distributor that I'd trust. "New" generally means "Chinese"; and they're not noted for quality.

When it's me, if the housing and bushings are in good condition, I drop a replacement distributor shaft assembly and pickup coil into the original housing. Replace the gear/module/etc. as needed.

Replacement shafts are still available, (I thought they were discontinued, but I was wrong.) They cost more than a mass-market rebuilt distributor. Go figure.
I prefer to keep OE parts whenever possible. Mainly why I chose to replace the coil and module in my housing instead of buying an aftermarket unit. I had no idea the center shaft could be purchased new separately. Where would I go to purchase one?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Supposedly one left, "more coming":

amazon.com/ACDelco-10467353-Original-Equipment-Distributor/dp/B0013FW8CE/ref=sr_1_1?crid=5ZM70IDM4Z7T&keywords=distributor+shaft&qid=1644827729&sprefix=distributor+shaft%2Caps%2C126&sr=8-1

Other sources, higher pricing:

www.summitracing.com/parts/ADO-10467353

www.jegs.com/i/ACDelco/065/10467353/10002/-1

Crazy expensive:

I bought a lot of three "aftermarket" shafts with Standard Motor Products branding on eBay; I bet they're the same part as ACDelco, in a different box.

Jimmy D

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey thanks for that.
Well still not happy with the way it ran, I bought a complete new dist from Napa and dropped it in yesterday. Right off the bat it idles much smoother. The damage to the old magnet assembly must be the culprit. I know it will take a few miles to relearn. We'll see.