Transmission Woes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a 97 ecsb Sierra with the 5.7 vortec and an auto transmission that I just bought less than a month ago. I was told it had a rebuilt transmission and that was the only thing that really worried me about the truck. Anyways I've had very few problems out of it until today. I've noticed that the transmission will slip just a very little bit from 1st to second sometimes but today after about a 45 minute drive it started acting up on the interstate. I would give it gas and it would rev a little bit but it wouldn't go any faster. After I got to the shopping cente and was driving around a little slower I would give it has and it would rev up and all of a sudden kick forward. It's almost like the torque convertor isn't working correctly? Anyways I limped it home an had that great burning smell that everyone always loves to smell. On my way home I tried to manually shift down to first and second and third to see exactly which gear it was and the damn linkage came undone. So as of right now it's sitting in my drive way in second gear with blocks behind the tires bc the emergency brake doesn't work either!

Never should of gotten rid of my ford!!

Anyways what do you guys think? Is the transmission toast? First gear doesn't really wanna work at all. I'm going to crawl up under it in the morning and put the linkage back on and see what's up but wanted to see what else I should check. Also I checked the fluid and its fine..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, I'm no 4L60E expert, but....put your linkage back together, and try and drive it around the block again. See how it acts.

The 305/350 are some of the most reliable engines made, period. The 4L60E, however is (IMO) a terrible transmission. GM should have never stuck a transmission designed for a passenger car into a truck. Mine is on #3, and it has 130K on it.

I would recommend buying a container of Lucas Trans Fix, and squeeze it into the trans while the engine is idling. When my #2 was failing (no OD, downshifting into first at 30 MPH (!!!) no reverse, etc.) it bought me another year and a half of like new performance, until I lost 3rd & OD on the way to an auction. I'm sold on the stuff, works like a champ.

Also, check this out, see if any of this matches your symptoms.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?3596-answer-to-any-4l60e-trouble

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I got to reading and what not and its looking like it may be in the limp mode. I couldn't really keep track of the gears but I know their is no 1st gear and driving it home I was at 55mph on the interstate at anywhere from 2-3k rpms. I'm going to try and fix the linkage and see if that's what's up. If it is I'm probably going to try and replace the two solenoids. Does anyone have a link to a write up on how to do that? The only thing I really need to know is which one is which and is their a difference between the two solenoids?

Also I'm new to odb2 vehicles and I have no check engine light on. Is there a cheap scanner I can purchase that will read the codes? Could it be showing codes even if the light isn't on?

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bought a scanner. No codes except for a rear o2 sensor. I got the linkage back on but it keeps popping off.

Anyways I didn't even try to drive it bc I out it in drive and had to rev it up to 2200 before it would move, tried manual 2 and it didn't help any either really. I tried reverse and it would go a little bit then rev then go a little bit more like it was slipping so I honestly have no clue at this point guys...

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Checked all the fuses, their all good. Going to try and replace the solenoids and see what that does. I'm going to try both shift solenoids and the tcc solenoid.

Quick question. Is the tcc solenoid the same thing as the transmission control solenoid?

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I believe when these trannys are built correctly ......they can and will outlast any other transmission....i put over 250k on my last rebuilt one......then i sold the truck.....and the guy who bought it is still driving it....i change fluid and filter ever year.......transmissions are often overlooked by owners....and they get neglected...and in turn they develop issues

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not to try and start an argument here, keep that in mind....

The key is finding one that was built correctly. Probably the units Made between 10:00 and 10:45AM on a Wednesday. Everyone has gotten over the hangovers from the weekend, and the "I hate my job" Monday, and are now accepting that their work week is half over. They aren't thinking about leaving to go to lunch a bit early, and everyone is awake.

I've personally never seen a 4L60E go for more than 160K before dying. Usually 100-120K is when they go.

My first one went at 113K, (replaced before I bought it) #2 went at 130K! 17,000 miles was it. Now I'm on #3. We'll see how long this lasts.

Yes, most people don't maintain their transmissions, this is certainly a contributing factor. However, some of the best transmissions from the early electronically controlled era were the Ford AOD-E, and 4R70W transmissions. They usually go 250-350K before needing a rebuild, often with no, or only 1 fluid change in all that time. Damn impressive, that's why the livery/taxi/police business loved the Panther platform cars. They had a useable lifespan over 300K, with minimal maintenance. If I could swap an AOD-E in my truck easily, I sure would do it. Rebuild the engine at 200K, and be good to go with no worries for another 200K.

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I respect your opinion.....ive just had really good luck with them i suppose

WVXC450R

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 95 f150 has one if those transmissions and if I added a shift kit I would probably be in love with it.

This truck was said to have had a rebuilt transmission in it. Now to me a rebuilt transmission can mean a junkyard tranny, a professionally rebuilt transmission, a shade tree mechanic rebuild, or a "I'm going to rebuild this to last long enough for me to sell it", which is looking like what I have on my hands..

With that being said I'm going to try and find a shop that will let me order the monster in a box rebuild kit or another rebuild kit through them and have them do it all so there is some kind of a warranty. Do you all recommend a complete kit with a shift kit and all that? While I have it apart I may as well beef it up a little bit!