Transfer Case Fill Plug - Stripped!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eldplanko

Reaction score
Ok, here's what I ended up doing. I needed to drill out the plug almost all the way through with a 3/8" bit. I also had a rearward clearance issue (riveted in cross member behind the torsion bar crossmember) so I had to cut the bit down with a grinder. I took about half an inch off the chuck end (just enough to be held by the chuck) and cut the front end off flush. It cut good enough with a 90 deg point, the metal was soft. Also, I needed to use a right angle air drill (again clearance issue).

Once drilled through, I used a Hanson Multi Spline extractor. It finally bit solid enough that I new it wouldn't strip. Heated up the case around the plug with the MAP/propane torch till it started to smoke; slow increasing pressure with the 18" breaker and finally it broke free. Plug went up on the "wall of shame."

Hope this is helpful for someone else in the same situation.

eldplanko

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

wildncrazyguy

Reaction score
You da man! I accomplished nothing but where you were at starting this thread. Ended up cutting my losses at a T-50 torx and figured I will have to drill and extract as I came here to see you did. Good job. Hanson multi spline extractor. I'll be looking that up. I was browsing through Lowe's online extractors and they have a similar looking IRWIN Hanson Ex-6 Screw Extractor and 13/32 In Bit Combo I might try. Hole is a bit smaller at this point at about 11/32. 3/8 is in the middle of 11 and 13/32. Maybe I'll try it with a 3/8 bit. Don't want to get too big and risk messing up the threads. Looks like you had a little all the way around with the 3/8. Actually going to the dealership today to perform an alignment. Might ask them how much to extract. I'm sure I'll still be looking at an extractor, LOL.