Tranny or Shafts or something is wrong need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Logant12

Reaction score
I was driving my 97 k1500 about 15mph and I hit a somewhat bump not really big. And my truck made a large pop and I didn't have any power at all at the wheels and it makes a ticking noise when I put it in any gear and the rpm goes from about 750 to 1500 and the truck wont move it just makes a thumping noise I checked my tranny levels I was pretty much out so I put some more in and still nothing. I did some research and it said something that possible my joints on my rear shafts went out. I wouldn't think the new tranny with less than 10k on it would just randomly out by hitting a bump with low fluid would cause this and my tranny temp runs at a normal level. really would like some input from you guys as my truck sits at the local high school

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is this a 4wd truck?
Manual or automatic?
Have you crawled under the vehicle and looked for anything out of the ordinary?

The engine itself can be turned off and restarted right? Making your flex-plate didn't break.

Logant12

Reaction score
Is this a 4wd truck?
Manual or automatic?
Have you crawled under the vehicle and looked for anything out of the ordinary?

The engine itself can be turned off and restarted right? Making your flex-plate didn't break.

It is 4wd and its an automatic I did look but not too hard because I was in a hurry and the engine itself is perfect starts and everything. I was mainly wondering if this sounds like a tranny issue or something else

Logant12

Reaction score
Ok I ran into school early and had a better look at it when I put the truck into a gear the drive shaft moves but it doesn't move the rear end I'm assuming the rear end is fried

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Cross shaft or spider gears broke. If you don't have a locker, you can buy a set of spider gears and a cross shaft pretty cheap. May want to pop the cover and confirm the carrier is not broken, but i bet the spiders have just popped.

Logant12

Reaction score
Well I'll take a better look at it and get it torn apart and see what I can do

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
DO NOT pull it in 4x4 and drive it home. If one of those chunks gets caught somewhere it shouldn be, it can break the housing. Trailer it where the rear wheels do not roll. either that, or pull the cover off and remove the broken parts prior to doing this. Not sure how familiar you are with a gm 10 bolt, but the axle will walk out if the cross shaft is not in it. You can put it in 4x4 and drive it home if the cross shaft is in one piece, and the retainer bolt is still holding it in with no spider gears in it.

Logant12

Reaction score
It's about 15 miles away from my house so I ain't going to try driving it will either be trailered or I'll take the rear end pieces out and pull it. Thanks for the help I hope everything works out

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At least it isn't a transmission problem. So.. Tell us how it really happened? Jk.

Hope you get it fixed up and on the road again.