Totaled my 04 Honda Pilot, repairing my mom's 97 1500.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A Chunky Dog

Reaction score
Trucks been sitting for 5 years due to tranny issue. It's going to a trusted mechanic soon, presumably the tranny will have to be rebuilt and presumably there will be fuel system issues as well. I know very little about it at the moment.
Anyway, far as I know (and hope) it's a 350. Hypothetically speaking, if you were to go into a project blind and mechanically ignorant, what would be your mechanical priorities to get the old girl up to *****? I believe the tranny or engine have been rebuilt at some point in the past, but ODO reads 407k miles. Ideally I'd like to lift it and make this truck a DD and project that I can eventually hand down to my son when I'm too old to climb into it. It's been neglected for a long time so I can safely guess there's a LOT of work to be done.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard C Dog!

IMHO if you are willing to provide clear pics, careful observation, and
spend a little quality time researching the answers in this forum,
then between all the hard-won experience that the contributors
on this forum can bring to bear, there's pretty much nothing on
that C1500 that can't be sussed/fixed. The collective hive mind
is an amazing thing to watch in action. :0)

For what it's worth, I'm pretty new myself, but I do know from
watching the process unfold that the option codes on the
sticker on the inside of your glovebox door is a huge help when
the gurus are trying to help from a distance. 2WD? 4WD?
5, 6, or 8 lug wheels? JB or JD4/5/6/7/8 brake system?
5.0 (305) or 5.7 (350)? And so on & so forth.

EDIT: You said C1500, so of course 2WD. But is it
open diff or G80 Gov-Lock? If that subsystem is
working correctly, who cares? But if a noise develops
back there this will certainly come up in conversation.

Seriously, take a pic of the option codes on the backside
of the glove box door and run them through the online magic
decoder ring. And when you do this, please report back
if you have the 305 vs the 350.

Anyway, best of luck with getting your newly adopted ride
back on the road...and eventually a reliable ride. The GMT400
platform is one of the best vehicles out there when it comes
to coming up to speed on the old truck hobby.

Cheers --

Last edited:

A Chunky Dog

Reaction score
I'm not totally inexperienced mechanically but I'm definitely a step under novice. I've done simple things on my own and front end minus suspension with help from a friend. Reading up on and learning about OBS Chevys as much as I can.

A Chunky Dog

Reaction score
Welcome aboard C Dog!

IMHO if you are willing to provide clear pics, careful observation, and
spend a little quality time researching the answers in this forum,
then between all the hard-won experience that the contributors
on this forum can bring to bear, there's pretty much nothing on
that C1500 that can't be sussed/fixed. The collective hive mind
is an amazing thing to watch in action. :0)

For what it's worth, I'm pretty new myself, but I do know from
watching the process unfold that the option codes on the
sticker on the inside of your glovebox door is a huge help when
the gurus are trying to help from a distance. 2WD? 4WD?
5, 6, or 8 lug wheels? JB or JD4/5/6/7/8 brake system?
5.0 (305) or 5.7 (350)? And so on & so forth.

Anyway, best of luck with getting your newly adopted ride
back on the road...and eventually a reliable ride. The GMT400
platform is one of the best platforms out there when it comes
to coming up to speed on the old truck hobby.

Cheers --
I'll report back as soon as it's in my driveway with as much info as I can provide. All I know now is high mileage, extended cab, absurdly neglected and a huge project for the foreseeable future.
Thank you for the warm welcome!

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not totally inexperienced mechanically but I'm definitely a step under novice. I've done simple things on my own and front end minus suspension with help from a friend. Reading up on and learning about OBS Chevys as much as I can.
Copy that. We have *all* started from that very same spot. Some (most?)
experience the inevitable newbie setback(s) at the start of their motorhead
journey & decide that this isn't their thing...and move on to some other
easier hobby.

But for some, the first time they take a sleepy piece of yard sculpture and
get it to fire up & then move under it's own power, the Sense of Accomplishment
rings your bell in such a way that it can't be unrung. And it can't be explained
to those who haven't experienced the same thing.

And this is a time-honored tradition. No doubt 150 years ago there was a dude
who fixed the wheel on his covered wagon in order to proceed westward with
his family...and felt the exact same way as we do today. And keep in
mind that nothing good is easy -- 'Murica! :0)

Point is, don't feel apologetic for not being omniscient when under the hood --
this is more than overcome by the fact that you are willing/motivated to learn.

Best of luck as your new adventure unfolds -- we'll be ready when you are...

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First thing you're gonna want to do is get that old gas out of the tank,I imagine it's pretty naaasty. Hopefully the fuel pump survived but be prepared to replace that. Then move up to the fuel filter. Probably a good idea to add some injector cleaner to the new fuel to cut any varnish built up in the lines,regulator and injectors. Replace plugs,wires,cap and rotor unless you know they are in good shape,plugs regardless. Replace air filter. Replace belt and all hoses. Replace thermostat. Flush the cooling system and check for leaks then drain and add antifreeze. Give it an oil change after you have thoroughly warmed the engine to cook off any moisture that may have accumulated in its five years of sitting. Probably no need to mess with the tranny until you find out if it's toast or not but make sure it's full of fluid. Check brake hoses and for leaks on backing plates and calipers. Check brake linings. Probably gonna need to put new tires on it,five years of sitting is gonna create some serious flat spots and radials will separate while trying to round up. Was it garage kept or out in the yard?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you were to go into a project blind and mechanically ignorant, what would be your mechanical priorities to get the old girl up to *****?
FIRST priority is always "safety".

Brakes, Suspension, and Steering.
All of that gets inspected, you'll most likely end up replacing heaps of parts. All rubber bushings are suspect. All suspension joints are suspect. The steering rag joint is just about guaranteed to have failed; the steering is likely accomplished by bouncing the steering column off of the safety stops of the rag joint. Ideally, the rag joint would be removed in favor of a U-joint; but the Genuine GM piece for that is discontinued, and I've heard the Dorman replacement is discontinued, too.

Make sure all the lights work, are of appropriate brightness, and the headlights are properly aimed.

Second priority is not to screw-up anything that isn't already screwed-up. Mostly this means catching-up on all the overdue maintenance.

Change ALL fluids and filters. Gasoline, and the fuel filter as already mentioned. The brake fluid will need a scan tool to properly flush the ABS unit. Perhaps install an aftermarket filter on the PS return hose. When draining the coolant, be sure to remove the block drain plug on one side, and the knock sensor (plugs the block drain hole on the passenger side.) The knock sensor gets sealant and is torqued into place. Tightness affects the sensor's sensitivity.

Inspect/replace all hoses and belt, probably the idler/tensioner as well.

Trans fluid will be replaced with the transmission. Be sure they flush the trans cooler(s). Remove the axle fill plugs before draining the existing axle lube. You don't want to drain the fluid, then discover you're going to have trouble re-filling it.

Farther down the priority list is everything that makes the truck "go". Engine tune-up, verify no "codes". Whatever repairs are needed--fixing oil leaks, fixing low compression, fixing fuel injection with the newer electronic injectors, etc.

Ideally I'd like to lift it and make this truck a DD
What is the point of lifting a DD? Makes it more top-heavy, reduces fuel economy, bigger-diameter tires reduce braking efficiency and acceleration.

It's been neglected for a long time so I can safely guess there's a LOT of work to be done.
Agreed.