Torsion tubes going to lower control arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

munrom77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone I'm working away trying to get my truck frame ready for a treatment of por-15, and I have beaten the living sh't out of the lower control arm and air hammered at the key I haven't even budged an inch. I have it soaking in a bath of pro film(wool wax spray) anyone have any extra tips? Next step is heat lots and lots of heat!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The torsion bars? I used a small sledge hammer when I removed mine. I think I removed one of them with the arm still attached, and got it apart afterwards.

munrom77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yes sorry i had a brain fart yesterday and was unable to think of the proper name yes the torsion bars; i believe what i am going to do is split the keys with the torch and get them out that way

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
yes sorry i had a brain fart yesterday and was unable to think of the proper name yes the torsion bars; i believe what i am going to do is split the keys with the torch and get them out that way

Be carefull how much heat you put to the bars, you don't want them going soft on you. Mine took a bit to remove, but it wasn't that hard...a torch seems overkill to me.

munrom77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be carefull how much heat you put to the bars, you don't want them going soft on you. Mine took a bit to remove, but it wasn't that hard...a torch seems overkill to me.

Over the years riding around in canada with the salt on the roads there is alot of rust and grim in ther seizing the bars; I was going to try and just cut a chunk out of the key to help seperate it; otherwise i could cut out the crossmember and then cut the key with a grinder and weld that frame back together again but was trying to avoid it

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Over the years riding around in canada with the salt on the roads there is alot of rust and grim in ther seizing the bars; I was going to try and just cut a chunk out of the key to help seperate it; otherwise i could cut out the crossmember and then cut the key with a grinder and weld that frame back together again but was trying to avoid it

We use plenty of salt here in MI, too... I took mine apart 12 years ago, Though, so maybe it wasn't as rusted as yours.

Doesn't that crossmember unbolt?

munrom77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It does unbolt but to get the key out you either beat it out or cut the key off or cut the crossmember, going to try working on it tonight in between the jets hockey game. Will update how I make out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m002922

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just went through this. I pb-blastered them, then I used a heat gun (not a torch, a heat gun) to heat the keys slightly . . . not sure if that helped. Then I unbolted the cross member and hit the cross member to work the keys off - that worked pretty quick. That should give you access to take the cross member out (pull the rubber ends off), and then you can have better access to strike the torsion bars directly.

I just posted a link to pictures of what mine looked like with the torsion bar cross member removed. Wow.

It does unbolt but to get the key out you either beat it out or cut the key off or cut the crossmember, going to try working on it tonight in between the jets hockey game. Will update how I make out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If yours is as stuck as mine thats about the only way possible.. i tried atleast 4 or 5 different sprays(wd40, deepcreep, pb blaster, some "rust freeze" one, ect). Beat on the torsion bar through a hole in the cross member (from back of truck, forwad) with a long solid rod and a sludge hammer. Tried pulling it forward with a winch, truck was going to roll over the blocks befor it was going to move so i tried hitting it with a sludge hammer a few more times while being pulled by the winch... still nothing! I just gave up on mine. Let me know if you get yours, best of luck!