Torsion bar Stuck for 6" Lift kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey, I am in the process of installing my 6" RCX lift kit but within the past 3 days, I haven't gotten any further than instruction number 3. I unloaded the torsion bars, I have been soaking them in pb blaster for 3 days, the passenger bar is loose (I can move it in and out of the A arm). The drivers side bar is basically welded to the A arm. I tried beating on the bar from the cross member hole, beating it from the hole in the A arm but with no luck. Not to mention that they are stuck to the keys.

Will the bars come out if I push from the A arm side of the bar towards the back of the truck or do they only come out from the front of the truck? If they can come out from the A arm side towards the back, I am thinking of building a press to press them out that way.

Also, when unloaded, one key sits higher than the other in relation to the cross member, does this mean one bar is toast? If so are 3/4 ton bars a direct swap?

Thanks for any advice!

Jo-eL

Kyle97GMC

NO SIR IT'S NOT A CHEVY.
Reaction score
3/4 ton bars are a direct swap. I would try getting a little sledge hammer and hitting the torsion bar crossmember as hard as you can towards the rear and then again towards the front till they give. I had to do that to mine when I swapped in the 3/4 ton bars

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Air hammer has never let me down. If you have an air compressor, invest in a descent air hammer to knock them out. And when you go back together get you some 3/4 ton bars. I wish I would have.

token2004

Reaction score
When I did my lift I tried getting them loose but I said f it after a few hours and just dropped the cross member and lower control arms all as one unit. I even left the ball joints on the control arms/steering knuckle and literally the cross member, torsion bars, control arms, steering knuckles, and hubs all came out of the truck as one huge piece. Its kind of a pain to get the cross member out but I did it all by myself in a couple hours in the drive way. I put it all back in the same way as 1 piece.

70stroker

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have literally done atleast 300 torsion key sets at the shop. Always used a air hammer and rarely hit on it for more then 5 seconds.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't know if an air hammer will do anymore. I welded up a couple pieces of pipe to press them out with my 12 ton jack, I maxed out the jack and it still didn't move a bit. This is what I mean;
You must be registered for see images attach

Am I not suppose to get them out that way or what? This is so frustrating since that's the only thing stopping me from having a lifted truck!

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Just leave it all together. (Drop the LCA, torsion bars and the crossmember All in one piece) You'll just need a few buddy's to help you get it all back in.