Top end component selection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
GM fast burn aluminum heads. They will honestly fit your application well if you're looking for lots of ponies, with good torque.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score

Given my personal experience with all 4 heads, I will say that the article is wrong in some spots, and misses some other points.

Fast burn heads to not share the same size combustion chamber. They're completely different. They also don't have the same valve size.

Bowtie Vortecs also don't keep up with the TQ of the fast burn heads. And they don't burn near as efficiently as the fast burn heads.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What makes you say that? I have no experience with any of them, but it's difficult to argue dyno numbers. With the bowtie being newer, I'd be inclined to thinking it burns faster. I know the original Vortecs burned faster than the TBI heads and the LS heads seem to burn faster yet. You must have dyno time or seat time with these, right? I saw you crew chief a roundy round car in another thread, so I'm guessing this is where your experience comes from.

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Either induction system would be a learning experience for me as my knowledge base is minimal to non-existent. However, I am willing to put in the time to learn.

From what I've read, switching to carburetion requires the installation of a return style fuel pressure regulator, fuel pressure gauge, a square bore carb intake, HEI distributor and of course the carburetor. I'll also be left with a Service Engine Soon light.

On the other hand, from what I've read, a performance TBI setup is going to require the "Ultimate TBI mods" as well as boring the throttle body to 2", a return style fuel pressure regulator, fuel pressure gauge, a higher flow fuel pump (recommendations please!), EBL "software", a TBI to carb adapter plate also bored to 2" and square bore intake manifold.

Am I missing anything for either setup?

I only drive the truck from mid-March to mid-November as PGH loves to salt their roads so the climate is relatively constant (50-90 degrees)

Thank you,
Eric

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
454 injectors and I believe the 454 trucks used a much higher pressure than the 350 so a stock regulator there may be the ticket. Holly makes a TBI unit, same size as a 454 TBI. The 454 TBI is an option too, but IIRC the IAC was different.

90K1/2ton

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noted. Thank you, sir. Looks like it's time to make a decision.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
What makes you say that? I have no experience with any of them, but it's difficult to argue dyno numbers. With the bowtie being newer, I'd be inclined to thinking it burns faster. I know the original Vortecs burned faster than the TBI heads and the LS heads seem to burn faster yet. You must have dyno time or seat time with these, right? I saw you crew chief a roundy round car in another thread, so I'm guessing this is where your experience comes from.

Sorry man, I'm not on as much as I used to be!

We run GM CT400 Crates with the Aluminum Fast Burn heads, as well as built engines based on the same cam and iron Large Port Bowtie heads, as they are the closest iron match to Fast Burn heads.

While we can closely match the engines, bowtie heads fall just short on the low end torque numbers. We also get better fuel millage with fast burn heads. On average we get 0.75MPG out of the fast burn heads, and 0.5 MPG out of the bowties.