Timing issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so I had a thread going about my truck not starting. I'm almost 100% positive it was my pickup coil. So since I somewhat resolved the issue, I figured I'd try a new thread. I replaced the distributor and got the truck started. Now here's my issue, the truck has a really hard time starting without using some ether. Today I had got the truck started and let it warm up. I shut it down, unplugged the timing wire. Started it back up and attempted to set the timing. When I had it set, I shut the truck back down, plugged the wire back in and it wouldn't start. Even if I get it started and put the light on it, I can watch the mark jump all over. It'll stop sometimes and jump other times, it's very random. I've had so many new parts that I've bought fail on me right out of the box. So I'm wondering if that's it but most on here would know better than I. Really hoping it's nothing else like my timing chain or cam. Any ideas?

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well while I don't have a misfire, I think I have a vacuum leak that I believe is around the iac. My iac is bad which Im probably going to replace tomorrow. Could the iac cause timing issues as well?

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So temporarily fixed the iac issue so I can set proper timing. I let it warm up, shut it off, unplugged timing advance, set it to 0 degrees, shut it down, plugged advance wire back in, unhooked battery and let it sit for 10 minutes. Went to start it back up and nothing. The truck will start every time with a shot of ether. I tried doing the same process again and when I put the light on it with the advance cable unplugged it was still dead on 0. Turned off the truck again to plug it back on and started it up (with the help of ether again) and the timing was at 12 degrees. Just putting all the details out there for better assistance. The truck has only started up twice without ether.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The timing should advance at idle with the wire plugged up. 12 deg sounds about right to depending on temp. How long have you cranked it before giving up and using the ether? Are you certain you have good gas? After using the ether to start it will it continue to run on its own? And how well does it run?

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Crank it over for a good 5-10 seconds, the gas is good because the truck will run and stay running with no problems. Only issues I've had while running it are it bogs down on hard acceleration before taking off and it felt sluggish.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No light, most I've driven it in this condition so far was today for about 15 minutes. Question, does the coil ground itself through the brackets to the manifold? I have left it undone for easier access to the distributor hold down bolt. May sound dumb but I ask bc I'm curious if it requires a hotter spark at startup?

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So figured I'd at least post that I fixed the issue for anyone who ever has a similair issue. I replaced the fuel filter, plug for the TPS sensor as well as the TPS sensor. I also refilled my coolant bc it's been leaking from above my water pump but I fixed that too. Started right up. Runs a little sluggish and stutters a bit on acceleration but I'm assuming I may just need to bump my timing up just a tad. I'm just happy it starts now without ether.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For future reference yes the coil does need to be bolted down. That is how the coil grounds itself.