Ticking + slight surging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsfrmsj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello All,

For the last 15k miles, perhaps even longer, I've had this ticking and surging at idle. It goes away when you give it any bit of gas. It has never set the check engine light off though.

Additionally, oil pressure is good, cylinder pressure is good, passes smog with ease, and is not losing coolant.

The truck has already had the following replaced:

-intake manifold gasket
-distributor
-plugs
-wires
-coil
-injectors
-fuel pump

It was doing this ticking before all of the above was replaced and still does it. Quiets down significantly after an oil change but always remains. I'm pretty regular with basic maintenance as well, filters, oils n such.

Any Ideas? How worried should I be given that it hasn't grenaded in 15k miles with it?

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Since it changes with an oil change, I suspect a lifter. Next oil change run some high detergent cleaner (Theres a bunch of brands that all do the same thing) for their recommended interval. That should clean up the lifter and stop the ticking.

The most effective in my past experience is to drain the oil, pour in some cheap ATF and let it idle for a few minutes until the ticking stops then replace with fresh oil.

jsfrmsj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you may be right. I seafoamed it this weekend which helped ALOT.

It has quieted down significantly, but I can still hear it just faintly. Its also running a lot smoother now. I changed the oil and just started a Marvel's Mystery Oil treatment. I'm hoping that will clear it up for good, time will tell.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GriffisClnCo