Thoughts about my amp problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaltonB98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey so I just bought this amp, went home installed it in the truck and whenever I try to run it off "amp 1" and "amp 2" with my RCA's it will go into protect mode with the "amp 2" plugged in. So now those channels wont work. I'm assuming it's just a bad amp since I didn't have this problem with the other one. But before I go up there and ***** and moan to them I want to make sure I looked over everything, so any ideas on what to check? This is the amp that i'm running. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/kicker-...t-in-crossovers-black/4781700.p?skuId=4781700. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is possibly a wire shorted going to i assume "amp2" is rear speakers. Going into protect as soon as signal from "amp2" is plugged in leads me to believe its a problem with a speaker or speaker wire shorting out.

GaryCCR

OnlyBodyStyle enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree. I would hook it all up, except for the speakers. The hook up each speaker one-by-one. When you hook up a speaker and the amp cuts off, then that's probably your short. I've never seen a rca cable cause a short. Gl.

DaltonB98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is possibly a wire shorted going to i assume "amp2" is rear speakers. Going into protect as soon as signal from "amp2" is plugged in leads me to believe its a problem with a speaker or speaker wire shorting out.
Thanks man I'll check out the wires and switch them around to see if I can one up with something. Appreciate the reply with your thoughts.

EDIT: actually now that I think of it I did try that. I ran the rear speakers into the amp 1 channels and it works fine. It just goes into protect mode when the RCAs for "amp2" are plugged into

DaltonB98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree. I would hook it all up, except for the speakers. The hook up each speaker one-by-one. When you hook up a speaker and the amp cuts off, then that's probably your short. I've never seen a rca cable cause a short. Gl.
Yeah that's what's making me think it might just be a lemon amp. But I'll try unplugging all the speaker wires and see if it's still going into protect mode. And if not I'll plug em in one at a time

GaryCCR

OnlyBodyStyle enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a good clean ground, to bare metal? Wire shorter than 3'?

DaltonB98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have a good clean ground, to bare metal? Wire shorter than 3'?
Yes sir. The wire is about 1.5ft or so. And I grinded down the paint before I grounded it. My amp before this never had a problem like this. Only problem I had with that was it overheating

GaryCCR

OnlyBodyStyle enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have a multimeter? Can you check the ohm load on your speakers? I'm not sure what's going on, but sounds like you have a blown speaker. A blown speaker could cause overheating and an amp to go into protect.

DaltonB98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Do you have a multimeter? Can you check the ohm load on your speakers? I'm not sure what's going on, but sounds like you have a blown speaker. A blown speaker could cause overheating and an amp to go into protect.
I'm not sure if we do. I'll have to look around and see if I could figure out how use one on google if I do:rotflmao: but I think it's been getting hot ever since I bought it. The only area for this one to breath is on the bottoms so it's kinda a crappy design on their part