Thought she was stock, guess not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to spread information based on my own experiences. I dont like heresay which is why I usually will only give my 2 cents if it is something I have had my own hands in. Now heres the problem, I base my responses on the work I have done on my rig, which I assume before I bought it it was completely stock, due to only 1 previous elderly owner and stacks of service reciepts and the fact it had only 70000 miles when I bought it.

But spec info about my truck is wrong. At least parts of the drivetrain.

It is a tbi 350 with a 4l60 (700r4).

It has a rev limiter at 5200 rpm. It shouldnt have one at all.

It doesnt get on cam till 2800 rpm but pulls with good power till almost 5000 rpm. Most tbi pull hard from idle and hit a wall at 4000. I had a 1995 with a tbi 350 years ago that was as such.

This ones from today, my transmission will lock the converter in all gears except for 1st.

My converter stalls at 1700 rpm, ive been told stock is supposed between 1200 and 1400.

I really dont want to be a ******** spreading internet misformation because my vehicle isnt what I think it is. I can recall reading somewhere that the earlier tbi 350s had a more aggressive cam, which may explain its revvier nature. Still doesnt explain the transmission. I assume it hasnt been rebuilt due to the low miles and none off the service reciepts had 8nfo for tranny work

Last edited:

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of would be that the elderly owner wanted those items installed years later after they came out.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I tend to spread information based on my own experiences. I dont like heresay which is why I usually will only give my 2 cents if it is something I have had my own hands in. Now heres the problem, I base my responses on the work I have done on my rig, which I assume before I bought it it was completely stock, due to only 1 previous elderly owner and stacks of service reciepts and the fact it had only 70000 miles when I bought it.

But spec info about my truck is wrong. At least parts of the drivetrain.

It is a tbi 350 with a 4l60 (700r4).

It has a rev limiter at 5200 rpm. It shouldnt have one at all.

It doesnt get on cam till 2800 rpm but pulls with good power till almost 5000 rpm. Most tbi pull hard from idle and hit a wall at 4000.

This ones from today, my transmission will lock the converter in all gears except for 1st.

My converter stalls at 1700 rpm, ive been told stock is supposed between 1200 and 1400.

I really dont want to be a ******** spreading internet misformation because my vehicle isnt what I think it is. I can recall reading somewhere that the earlier tbi 350s had a more aggressive cam, which may explain its revvier nature. Still doesnt explain the transmission. I assume it hasnt been rebuilt due to the low miles and none off the service reciepts had 8nfo for tranny work

What year is the truck?

The stock long block TBI in my G-van had no issues pulling 5,500 rpm although power did level off about 5,000.

My torque converter also locked as low as 20 mph in 2nd gear.

Stock converter would stall around 2,000 rpm behind the performer rpm intake, lomg tube header, full exhaust and tuned 350 TBI.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
1990 is the year from what I gathered in his previous posts, I could be wrong.

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year is the truck?

The stock long block TBI in my G-van had no issues pulling 5,500 rpm although power did level off about 5,000.

My torque converter also locked as low as 20 mph in 2nd gear.

Stock converter would stall around 2,000 rpm behind the performer rpm intake, lomg tube header, full exhaust and tuned 350 TBI.

Its a 1990. Thanks for the info, your van sounds pretty on point for how my truck is.