Thinking of going back to a gasser

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
If you wanna run a TBI propane kit, I have a nitrous fogger plate laying around. Sits under the TBI and also acts as a spacer. Wonder if that would work for you?

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not sure, I will go by and see if they have a propane plate at the propane shop down the road. They dont install them but will work on them

sparky24

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think that if you are really towing that much weight you should look for a 8.1/allison regular cab long bed dually. The 2500 HD and 3500 frames in the 2001 and up trucks are FAR FAR stronger and better suited for towing big numbers. I think at this point it is clear that chevy underbuilt the frames on the 1988-2000 body style trucks, they were relying on heat treated characteristics of the frame to make up for the fact that it was far smaller than the older k30's. The newer trucks have much larger/thicker frames.

Anyways that may be besides the point because it sounds like you are happy with how your other trucks perform with the 6.5L. I think you have two choices. Keep the duramax as a garage queen for towing occasionally and pick up a gas k2500 for daily - OR - Sell the dmax and use your other diesels for towing, while still buying a gas k2500 (preferably a small block for gas mileage.)

I hate to say it but maybe a mid 90's cummins would be better suited for you, although the tranmissions are ABSOLUTE GARBAGE

zchrisz

Reaction score
I think that if you are really towing that much weight you should look for a 8.1/allison regular cab long bed dually. The 2500 HD and 3500 frames in the 2001 and up trucks are FAR FAR stronger and better suited for towing big numbers. I think at this point it is clear that chevy underbuilt the frames on the 1988-2000 body style trucks, they were relying on heat treated characteristics of the frame to make up for the fact that it was far smaller than the older k30's. The newer trucks have much larger/thicker frames.

Anyways that may be besides the point because it sounds like you are happy with how your other trucks perform with the 6.5L. I think you have two choices. Keep the duramax as a garage queen for towing occasionally and pick up a gas k2500 for daily - OR - Sell the dmax and use your other diesels for towing, while still buying a gas k2500 (preferably a small block for gas mileage.)

I hate to say it but maybe a mid 90's cummins would be better suited for you, although the tranmissions are ABSOLUTE GARBAGE

i'd be pretty pissed off with a 600 dollar a month garage queen, 600 a month is just crazy for a car.... sell the ***** and buy something comparable used cheaper.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
600 was needed and gave me a chance to shut my other trucks down for much needed maint.

I am doing some work on the dmax today to give it one last shot. It's a nice truck and I don't mind taking it off hd duty and fully using a 6.5l but at 12-14 mpg unloaded I can drive a gasser or another 6.5l w/o the payment

We have an 01 8.1l crew cab dually 4x4 on the farm w/ 280k on it, good truck. I know the gmt 400 chassis has limits but there are times I think they are underrated. My drums stop just fine loaded and properly adjusted. The gmt 400 body also seems to be better than gmt 800.

Source Unknown

Last edited: