Thermostat housing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looking to replace my thermostat housing with a chrome one given to me for free. It looks the same but guy says my tbi intske uses a different style housing and his is for a old sbc intake.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Maybe the gasket? Newer ones use a rubber gasket that fits on the edge of the thermostat. Older ones would use a flat cardboard gasket. I think the relief for the rubber is in the intake, not the housing, Though.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Correct.. whether old or new TBI intake the housing still has a flat surface on the bottom. Old one uses traditional paper gasket, newer one (started around 94) uses the split o-ring that goes around the thermostat and there's a relief in the intake for it.

I'd skip the chrome water neck though; they usually end up leaking.

Richard

Reaction score
aside from physical interference issues on weird intakes, (TPI) all of the water necks for sbc are generally interchangeable. May not point where you like, but it will seal.