The unrelenting Code 42 ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTWard

Reaction score
HI Folk's, I wanted to shear my story about my "Service Engine Soon" it was a code 42 when I pulled the codes, So in the end I did every thing except pull my heir out. I posted my plight on a lot of Truck website. By this point I had a 3 month $895.00 Code 42. So one day a guy posted this, " 1. Dis connect the battery. Take off the distributor and rotor. You'll be looking at the Ignition module. If it is white take it out and throw it out. If it's red and indicative of High Performance unit, take it out and throw it out. 2. Go to where ever you get parts of a GM dealership and get an original 1988 ignition Module. 3. Take some acetone or l Prep solvent, clean out the base plate and THE 2 screws. 4. Take the little packet of ignition heat paste, apply a thin layer about the size of a large postage stamp, and just enough to cover the steel plate center of the Module. It only needs to be the thickness of a page of loose leaf paper. Clean the hold down screws really , really good. Plug in the 6 connections, gently and put the 2 hold down screws in the module and tighten ONLY finger tight, Once you have them finger tight, turn the two screw's 1/8 of a turn. Very important. their only hold down screws. 5. If the cap and roter are old or dirty, spring for a new cap and rotor, but if they look OK reuse them and put it all back together.

hook up the ground cable and start the engine. It should fire right up and your code 42 is going to be gone. And sure enough, it is gone and for good. I went one more stop and put a set of General Motors Profession set of wires, they come with a 3 year warranty and since I was down there I pulled the AC Delco CR43TS plugs gaped at 0.35 and put in a set of AC Delco Platinum 'Rapid-fire' #1 plugs. Their identical size wise, but their gaped at 0.45 . I have previously installed a MSD 88.000 volt coil. You will never realize how the old 5.7 liter can run. Before it ran OK, but it felt it 29 year old age, the 350 was trying but like I say ,it's 29 years old. The guy who told me about the GM ignition module is a senior GM tech at a Chevy Dealership out side Detroit. But I can't tell you how much better this truck runs. It's just plain fantastic. I added a pic, I was unable to find a shorty headers for this 88 K5 Blazer, so time was tight, so I put a reproduction iron exhaust manifolds and since their NOT like the originals So since some of the manifolds were about 3/8 " away from the 90 degree plug ends, so I got plug insulators, and cut them up to be little boots
You must be registered for see images attach
for the plug and wires. I used super glue to keep the asbestos boots. My friens senior tech told me 70% of all codes 42's are a bad ignition Modules.

Last edited: