The Stupid Interior Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
Hey Al what type of spray glue would you recommend for sticking some scuffed closed cell foam to MDF and some vinyl/pleather to that foam? I've used Loctite and Duro but I would like something stronger.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You can try some adhesives made by 3M called '76' or '90'. The second one is the stronger of the two. They're not cheap. About $30.00/can retail, around here. comes in a can that has L,M,H, settings, plus the tip can be twisted so that the spray fan is vertical or horizontal. Pretty good all around glue, but it's not the very best.
I use a glue called 'Landau' adhesive, or 'Automotive Trim' adhesive. Comes in 5gal. cans & wholesale only. I spray it through a cheap siphon style paint gun. It's the same glue that comes in a tube, made by 3M, called Automotive Trim adhesive, (imagine that!) only the consistancy in the cans is a lot thinner. This is the stuff that I use to hold on vinyl roofs. When I use it for custom door panels & such, I get only one chance to glue things together. Once it's stuck, there is no way it's coming apart.
For any of these three glues. a couple of light coats are better than one heavy one, & some drying time between coats, or before the parts are stuck together.
Anything & everything that I glue, gets hit with a roller before it leaves my shop. This makes a big difference in making absolute sure that the parts are thoroughly stuck together. Just pushing the parts together by hands or fingers is not enough.

kamokevin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Reaction score
You can try some adhesives made by 3M called '76' or '90'. The second one is the stronger of the two. They're not cheap. About $30.00/can retail, around here. comes in a can that has L,M,H, settings, plus the tip can be twisted so that the spray fan is vertical or horizontal. Pretty good all around glue, but it's not the very best.
I use a glue called 'Landau' adhesive, or 'Automotive Trim' adhesive. Comes in 5gal. cans & wholesale only. I spray it through a cheap siphon style paint gun. It's the same glue that comes in a tube, made by 3M, called Automotive Trim adhesive, (imagine that!) only the consistancy in the cans is a lot thinner. This is the stuff that I use to hold on vinyl roofs. When I use it for custom door panels & such, I get only one chance to glue things together. Once it's stuck, there is no way it's coming apart.
For any of these three glues. a couple of light coats are better than one heavy one, & some drying time between coats, or before the parts are stuck together.
Anything & everything that I glue, gets hit with a roller before it leaves my shop. This makes a big difference in making absolute sure that the parts are thoroughly stuck together. Just pushing the parts together by hands or fingers is not enough.

Thanks for the quick response! Ya this is just a project center console so I don't think I'll be breaking out the spray gun, but I'll have to try out the strong 3M because I absolutely do not want things to come apart in the Arizona summer heat haha. I do have a small roller that I used on my friends headliner, so that will be used as well. I'll keep the small coats in mind because I don't want any over-saturation causing thick or hard spots.

One more question; what material do you recommend using for the inside compartment? I want a color contrasting to the tan on the outside and I feel like the vinyl would be a strange material/texture for the inside. I plan on adding some EL wire to the 4 bottom edges of the compartment and maybe the 4 bottom edges of the lid, then hook them up to a reed switch so when the lid is opened the EL wire will light up.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
For the inside of the box, I would use what I call 'trunk carpet'. It's the same stuff that guys are wrapping their sub-boxes with. A lot thinner than regular auto carpet, and it's pretty durable. It can be stretched to fit strange shapes, such as wheel wells in trunks, but it doesn't have a memory like vinyls. Once it's stretched, it stays stretched.
Pretty cheap, & comes in 3 colors. Black, grey, & a black/grey salt & pepper style combo.

SubLo

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen it somewhere on the forum in the past but now, can't find it. I'm looking for a can of interior paint that bonds to plastic to mimic the factory dash and accessory finish. Specifically, I'm looking for can of Tan/Neutral so that I can spray my black (ABS I think) GlowShift gauge pod to match. Any suggestions? Many thanks.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
I've seen it somewhere on the forum in the past but now, can't find it. I'm looking for a can of interior paint that bonds to plastic to mimic the factory dash and accessory finish. Specifically, I'm looking for can of Tan/Neutral so that I can spray my black (ABS I think) GlowShift gauge pod to match. Any suggestions? Many thanks.

SEM texture coating?

Sent from an obama phone