the beginning of a cool couch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are you going to put legs on it?

Yes the couch will seem to float on the floor. It will have a roll pan on it. Im taking the roll pan that was on my truck and my buddy is going to make me a copy of it on a sheet metal press

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Yes the couch will seem to float on the floor. It will have a roll pan on it. Im taking the roll pan that was on my truck and my buddy is going to make me a copy of it on a sheet metal press
Nice! that'll be cool

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I've been watching this thread!
Just kinda 'sitting back' (Hehe!) to see how you are go about this.
Mind if I offer some suggestions?
Over the years, I've help build & upholster more than several auto couches. Sorry, no pix. (pre-digital)
I like the idea of the stock seat! First time I've seen that! Usually when others have built these, the seat base, backrest, side & back panels are made of plywood. Then that is given to me to do the foam build & to fabricate the covers. Using the stock seat not only saves a bunch of time, but $$$, too! And it looks right! Excellent idea!
Are you gonna be using the tailgate? If not, he edge of the seat should hang out & over the end of the box by a couple of inches. It's a comfort thing. If you keep the tracks on the seat, then that could be adjustable. Slide it forward to sit on, then back so that the tailgate can be closed when it's not being used.
Still have the seat uprights? Why not use those under the box as the supports to keep the box off of the ground. Truck seats tend to be a bit low when just used as a shop seat. The uprights, with the added height of the seat in the box should fix that. If the seat is still too low, you could space up the uprights with some washers or even a couple of pieces of square tubing in whatever size required to get the right height.
Are you making a back panel? It should have one. That'll reduce a lot of flex.
For side panels, I'd suggest cutting up some GMT400 door panels. If you used the bottom portion, then you'd have the pockets for T.V. remotes, & be able to use the factory door panel locations as a place to mount speakers.
A sub under it would be cool, too!
What are doing on the bed floor? Carpet? Bedliner?

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Night light maybe?
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

1low95GMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been watching this thread!
Just kinda 'sitting back' (Hehe!) to see how you are go about this.
Mind if I offer some suggestions?
Over the years, I've help build & upholster more than several auto couches. Sorry, no pix. (pre-digital)
I like the idea of the stock seat! First time I've seen that! Usually when others have built these, the seat base, backrest, side & back panels are made of plywood. Then that is given to me to do the foam build & to fabricate the covers. Using the stock seat not only saves a bunch of time, but $$$, too! And it looks right! Excellent idea!
Are you gonna be using the tailgate? If not, he edge of the seat should hang out & over the end of the box by a couple of inches. It's a comfort thing. If you keep the tracks on the seat, then that could be adjustable. Slide it forward to sit on, then back so that the tailgate can be closed when it's not being used.
Still have the seat uprights? Why not use those under the box as the supports to keep the box off of the ground. Truck seats tend to be a bit low when just used as a shop seat. The uprights, with the added height of the seat in the box should fix that. If the seat is still too low, you could space up the uprights with some washers or even a couple of pieces of square tubing in whatever size required to get the right height.
Are you making a back panel? It should have one. That'll reduce a lot of flex.
For side panels, I'd suggest cutting up some GMT400 door panels. If you used the bottom portion, then you'd have the pockets for T.V. remotes, & be able to use the factory door panel locations as a place to mount speakers.
A sub under it would be cool, too!
What are doing on the bed floor? Carpet? Bedliner?

The couch is going to have a roll pan and will sit a couple inches off the floor. Im not going to use the tailgate. I will probably glue some auto carpet on the bed floor and fab up some plywood sides and mount some speakers in them or just put carpet on the metal and cut out a hole for the speakers. The seat is actually an extended cab seat so no rails. I took off the plastic bottom and tapped the plastic fastner holes for bolts and mounted the seat directly to the bed floor. Also the seat isn't mounted in the above pic the seat does have a couple inches of over hang on the edge

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
I know this is a hell of a thread bump but this is cool as hell! did it ever get finished? anybody else got anything gmt 400 or not furniture related?